Author Topic: swelling in cycles for my b/f  (Read 6096 times)

Offline Girlfriend

My b/f (age 65) has cycles of breast swelling and tenderness and at times downright pain. He had some serious heart problems a few years ago and takes medication that has gynecomastia as a side effect. I don't think surgery is an option for a couple of reasons: it would be dangerous for him to stop taking coumadin (blood thinner) and his breasts change size in cycles. He just started seeing a counselor, and I think this is a very positive step.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You are totally correct, His need for coumadin outweighs his desires for many kinds of elective surgery.

There are many medications that have Gynecomastia as a possible side effect. Potassium sparing diuretics, some Beta blockers for High Blood Pressure and medications for Prostate to name only a few.

As we age, our testosterone level just naturally falls somewhat and this too can be a factor. Reduced liver function can also be a possible cause.

While he may have a problem with it, Gynecomastia does not make him any less a man and he needs to hear that from you.

If you can remember some of the pains you had in early puberty when your breasts were growing you know what he is experiencing. If his breasts are large enough to fill a bra, it might provide needed support and help with his discomfort. He may need some coaxing to try it though. Many guys are highly resistant to the idea of wearing a bra. He would probably need your help in getting a good fit.

Your care and compassion are very important to him even if he should pretend otherwise.

Welcome aboard.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Girlfriend

Thanks, Grandpa Dan. I definitely do my best to let my boyfriend know I consider him a manly man. He has worked with an occupational therapist for bra suggestions and fitting and owns more bras than I do!   

The most stressful aspect of his condition for him is that he doesn't know when he will get extra swelling and tenderness so there's anxiety around whether he'll be able to attend some future event we have tickets to or whether he'll be comfortable running regular errands etc.

I think encouraging him to be honest about how he's feeling both physically and emotionally is making for a better relationship. So far he's been more comfortable talking when the lights are out, but I'm hoping that will change with time.       

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
He has more bras than you for several good reasons. You know your size and it vaies only slightly. He does not yet know his size as it seems always to be different. would it be true to say that no two are alike?

Fitting a bra to a male chest is not easy. His breasts are wider apart that those of a female and the chest is even differently shaped.

He is a very lucky man in one important way though. He has you.

Having a caring and understanding companion always makes things better.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

Having a caring and understanding companion always makes things better.

Agreed!!!

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline TigerPaws

He has more bras than you for several good reasons. You know your size and it vaies only slightly. He does not yet know his size as it seems always to be different. would it be true to say that no two are alike?

Fitting a bra to a male chest is not easy. His breasts are wider apart that those of a female and the chest is even differently shaped.

Having a caring and understanding companion always makes things better

More than 100% agree!

hammer

You go girl! Us guys with breast all need good women like you!

I have been blessed with one, and it sounds like your man has been too!

God Bless you!

Bob aka Hammer

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024