Author Topic: Could any plastic surgeon do the job?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline prabil

• Posting Member
Because the intelligence, skill level and education are so high for board certified plastic surgeons, could a plastic surgeon be told what to do for gynecomastia surgery and have them perform the surgery satisfactorily.  I say this because I have read so much and looked at so many websites, that I believe I can work in conjunction with the plastic surgeon and have him or her use their skill and training to do a decent job.  I know of a good plastic surgeon but only performs gyno surgery about 2 or 3 a month.  Not enough to be considered an top notch gyno doctor, but a very fine surgeon none the less.  By discussing everything that I have learned as well as looking at different videos, I think they should be able to do a good job.  I don't want to sound like a know it all but I have done the homework, they just need to perform.  I am not putting down many of the surgeons on this forum, I have looked at your websites and read your comments and testimonials and it is clear you get it. I am talking about other plastic surgeons who are not as experienced in Gyno surgrery

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We are in an age where there are often many sub specialties. An endocrinologist may specialize in treating liver disease another will have a special interest in metabolic disorders and another will be the go to man for reproductive problems. Surgery is like that as well, especially cosmetic and plastic surgery. Some years ago I had two surgeons offer to finish amputating three fingers from my left hand that had been chewed up by a chain saw. I declined and went looking for someone who had a specific interest in reconstruction of a hand. It took only a few hours and I found my man. So I still have both hands and they are both fully functional.

The simple fact is that the more often a person does the same thing the better the are are doing it. Could any cosmetic surgeon perform a male breast reduction? Yes, but you would be assured of a better result if you sought out the surgeon who performed your particular type of surgery with greater frequency.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery

Yes, but you would be assured of a better result if you sought out the surgeon who performed your particular type of surgery with greater frequency.

Amen.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:29:40 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
only performs gyno surgery about 2 or 3 a month.

If he does 2-3 a month he is plenty experienced in gynecomastia surgery.
I suppose unless he's only been doing that frequency for 2-3 months...

Many surgeons are capable- just make sure they use a proven technique and you view their "portfolio" and ask as many questions as you can think of.

Also- go see an endo first. Never hurts to make sure your hormones are in check first. I was planning to schedule surgery for this fall, then I saw an endo. My hormones are out of whack so it may take some time to determine if I'm a good candidate for surgery or if I can balance them.

Good luck

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024