Author Topic: smoking pot post-op  (Read 7539 times)

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
Hey there!

I'm 26 years old, and have had gynecomastia since I was at least 15. I would like to point out here that I started smoking pot only at the age of 23, so it was not the cause of my gynecomastia. The endocrinologist that examined me also confirmed that it was not the cause, not is it due to anything like kleinfelters etc... its just excess fat with large glands... the left side being more prominent than the right. "Persistent pubetal gynecomastia" was the diagnosis.

After years of trying to lose it, I came across the term gynecomastia on the net and realised what it was. I have since decided to undergo surgery (the doctor said it would require liposuction as well as excision)

For the last couple of years, I have smoked marijuana (pot) or hashish (crumbled and mixed with tobacco almost everyday. Since the doctor advised me not to smoke for a few days before and after surgery, and since I found out on the net that smoking is not recommended for those undergoing surgery, I have completely stopped smoking cigarettes since last week, and limited my pot-smoking to a few puffs from a hash joint I share with a friend once a day. I would say along with the hash that is about half a cigarette of tobacco a day.

I was just wondering if that is acceptible or if i will have to stop completely. I don't plan to smoke anything the day before my surgery, but I feel smoking a few hits a day would help me with the pain, discomfort and emotions I will predictably feel after surgery, and help me stay calm, since it is familiar to me. I do not plan on smoking more than this until I am healed.

Any thoughts you may have on the subject would be most welcome. I plan to have the surgery soon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:49:25 AM by frodo »

Offline Yoshi

• Bronze Member
Marijuana can cause gyne, which may make your surgery completely pointless.
I know the surgeon I went to said no smoking weeks before the procedure.

Read these:
http://anesthesiologyinfo.com/articles/12012003.php

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002485.html

I don't even know why you'd smoke marijuana to get rid of pain when you will probably be getting prescription pain killers. Why would you need marijuana for emotional healing. Your lack of concern for your personal health before a serious undertaking like this makes me want to suggest counseling.  Please, consider it. I have never seen a poster with such an intent on smoking marijuana as much as they can.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:49:56 PM by Yoshi »

ross12387

hey man dont listen to him i totally agree with you. smoking during recovery is fine, especially if youd prefer to take a few puffs for pain control rather than taking those damn painkillers. i dont know about you but they make me damn nauseous!

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
hey man dont listen to him i totally agree with you. smoking during recovery is fine, especially if youd prefer to take a few puffs for pain control rather than taking those damn painkillers. i dont know about you but they make me damn nauseous!

Sorry to come across like a jackass, but in my opinion telling somebody to smoke pot (or anything else) during recovery from surgery is senseless and dangerous.     There are too many individual variables with regard to drug interaction.  You can really screw yourself up by adding just one more substance to the mix.  Let the DOCTORS give the pain medication advice.  
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
I spoke to an endocrinist about this, he said smoking does slow down the rate of healing. He did also say that a few puffs wouldnt make that much of a difference. I'm still gonna put as little a load on my body as possible, but its comforting that if I do take a toke (cos I really dont like painkillers) its not gonna be the end of the world.

Having said that, I know where youre coming from about the smoking advice, because smokers arent known for their control, and advising someone that its ok to take a puff might lead to them taking several (conversely, telling them not to smoke AT ALL means they might smoke just a little) personally I dont play mind games like that with myself. If I dont wanna smoke, I don't. :)

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
"Now a man without boobs", Mr Nip? That's great!!!! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience!

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Just be careful, Frodo... I just don't want anything negative to happen to you or anybody else, especially if it can be prevented.   If anybody deserves good things, it's somebody who's endured gynecomastia.   I wish you well on your surgery.  Have you made definite plans yet?

"Now a man without boobs", Mr Nip? That's great!!!! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience!

Thanks, dude.  I'll be posting before/after pics in a week or so.  I just want to get the stitches out first and make some pictures that way before I post them all.  It's been a wild ride so far for the past couple of months, with lots of different conflicting emotions and experiences going on at the same time.   I'll eventually get around to posting my story in the "storys" board.  All that being said, all of it comes down to the following three words:  "Boobless is good."  

Offline NewLifeStartsMay4th

• Bronze Member
    • pre-post pics
seriously dude roll a QP up and smoke it to the head cause you're not gonna have breasts any more! smoking a little pot won't do anything but help you eat after surgery. all these other fuckers are forty year old weak asses. just don't over due it. because pot will make you not wanna do shit. you would have to stay high all day for a while to get bitch breasts and that isn't even proven. so smoke up   post pics ha ;D
Surgery may 4th Dr. Metzner New Orleans
http://deuce-po.magix.net/

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
There is no proof and no real information that says that pot smoking can cause gynecomastia. I think that they said it just as a way to get boys to stop smoking pot. I personally don't smoke and think that it causes a lot of harm, though less than alcohol. Alcohol does cause gynecomastia and the link is direct and obvious.

As for smoking post surgery, you are certainly not wanting to get the most for your money.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
It's been about a week and a half now since I smoked either a cigarette or a joint... been having a couple of beers every night though. I prefer smoking pot to drinking alcohol, but since smoking isnt the best thing for immediately post-op, I guess I'll be heading down to the pub a little more ;) The doctors I spoke to said theres no chance of gynecomastia developing again after the gland has been removed, because there's nothing for it to develop from. I don't think theres any relation between pot and gynecomastia either :)

By the way, Merle, this is a fantastic and really helpful site! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:13:09 PM by frodo »

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
Thanks,

To say that it can not come back is not true. The only study done that I am aware of says that it come back 30% of the time after the first surgery and 20% after the second surgery. It will not come back as bad generally.

It is impossible to get all that cells that may grow breast tissue. Yes they took what was visible, but you still need to be careful as your body has told you that you have a delicate balance of estrogen and testosterone and you need to respect that and act accordingly.

Merle

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
smoking pot or drugs makes you slow, lazy and i'm sorry...lets just say not as smart as a guy that doesnt do drugs....  go for a run

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024