Author Topic: Surgery booked today - I don't understand the way I feel  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
I've always told myself, that most negative aspects of my life, are all in some way directly or indirectly related to my gyne. I have always thought that my life would drastically improve as soon as I get "rid" of this problem. And all this, still today I believe to be true.

My surgery was booked today, confirmed for April 23rd. This is going to be a crucial and turning point in my life.

But for some strange reason, I don't understand the way I feel.
I feel indifferent. I'm not excited like I thought I'd be.

Anyone has felt like this under similar circumstances ?

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
About 2 days before surgery I was "meh" about it.  However once you go through with it your feelings will certainly change... for the better

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
I'm going under the knife Monday, and I've been feeling the same way.  For so long, I've wanted a flat chest, and to be able to not double think what I'm wearing, and now that it's here... eh.

I'm sure a lot of it is nerves and apprehension over it going wrong or not as well as I would hope.  I think some of it tho is just having talked to doctors about it and having them acknowledge I have it, and then telling friends I was getting it done cause I've always felt self-conscious about it, as tho just in talking about it and not trying to hide it so much, it's taken a lot of the power out of its hold over me.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
It is the beginning of awareness that you will have to change how you see and feel about yourself. You have blamed all of your life's woes on having gynecomastia.

Once you get rid of the gynecomastia, there will be no reason to not be happy and do whatever you have been holding yourself back from doing. No more excuses.

It is another version of fear of success. The weight and responsibility of having to continue to be successful when you have being a failure down to a science. No responsibility no need to succeed.

THere is a huge mental adjustment, especially if you have used it as an all purpose excuse.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
i felt similar, in fact i was also thinking "hey, perhaps i dont need this doing"

maybe its fear of the surgery dulling the excitement, the hassle of actually going to the hospital, a subconcious fear that you wont look any different afterwards, i dont know, but i know once id had it done, it was like winning the lottery :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Are you nervous/worrried about your upcoming surgery?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
Once you get rid of the gynecomastia, there will be no reason to not be happy and do whatever you have been holding yourself back from doing. No more excuses.

Merle, I think you hit spot on a large part of what I'm going thru.  It's as tho in the past month since I've booked the surgery, it's gone from "thank god, I'm finally getting rid of this," to "oh, crap, I'm really getting rid of this."

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
Are you nervous/worrried about your upcoming surgery?

GB

I have absolutely no fear of the surgery. I've had surgery once before, had a cyst removed and was under general anesthesia. I know what to expect. The only thing I am worrying about is the excuse I will use to lie to my parents, family and friends to leave town for a couple of days to get it done.

I still don't understand why I don't feel excited or happy. I mean, the surgery is booked...i've been waiting and dreaming of this for so long.

Offline JJ79

• Posting Member
Hi guys, I think we are all having the same feeling...my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning...and in the past few days I have been having this weird feeling too, from 'Wow, I finally decided to have surgery and getting rid of this crap' to 'Do I really need this?' But after thinking about this, I convince myself that this is the greatest decision I have ever taken. To be honest I am a bit afraid of surgery since this is gonna be my first surgery ever so that is why, I think, I have some doubts about it. But if I think how my life will be after that, the excitement I was feeling once I booked the surgery comes back stronger than ever. I still think about the outcome of my surgery hoping that I will like the result but as my surgeon told me this will depend on many factors other than him doing a good job on me. So fingers crossed and we'll see. I Will post pre- and post-operation pics.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
The only thing I am worrying about is the excuse I will use to lie to my parents, family and friends to leave town for a couple of days to get it done. I still don't understand why I don't feel excited or happy. I mean, the surgery is booked...i've been waiting and dreaming of this for so long.

Merle makes a good point. However, here is another angle...

Surgery will be a big ordeal for you. It's quite possible that you are subconsciously dreading the event, putting a damper on your much expected 'Happiness/Excitement'.

Just a thought!  ;)

GB

Offline outlaw706

• Posting Member
whats up fellas. im sceduled for sugery monday morning march 24 10:00 est.
i feel the same way. its very very scary but i have 2 do it cause i cat live
like this no more. good luck 2 everyony hope u guys have a good expercnce

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
if other people's experience is a guide, it's a lot easier on the other side than it looked from where you started. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline JJ79

• Posting Member
whats up fellas. im sceduled for sugery monday morning march 24 10:00 est.
i feel the same way. its very very scary but i have 2 do it cause i cat live
like this no more. good luck 2 everyony hope u guys have a good expercnce

Outlaw, everything is gonna be alright...I had surgery last Tuesday and I was shitting my pants thinking abut that...I went in at 7.30 am, they gave me intravenous sedation and woke up 3 hours later as if anything had happened...I am going fine now, recovering and pretty happy of the result so far.

You have to do this for yourself as your life will completely change afterwards. Keep us posted on the outcome ok? Best of luck and stay cool!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024