Author Topic: 2'nd surgery, revision!  (Read 1581 times)

Offline rakatak

• Posting Member
Hello everyone :)

I did a gynecomasty surgery 9 years ago (while I was 19 years old). the doctors took out some glandular tissue, as well as some fat. But since then, I felt like the gynecomastia situation was treated partially, and that there's still enough to take out from the breast.

In addition, since then, I started working out in a gym, so aesthetics had become a critical concern for me.

Today I went to a plastic surgery's office, he checked me, and said that:
1. Some breast tissue is left, definitly
2. some fat tissue as well
3. he thinks that he can do it for me, but that since "overall" I look good, I should see if the advantages outweigh the risks.
4. he said he'll open the breast at the same site where it was done before - a semi angular cut, 5 mm wide, at the scar already there; after that he'll take out fat (using lipo technique), and then make a very delicate excision).

well, my gyn definitely bothers me,so I want to ask:
A. does anyone have an experience with 2'nd surgery (=revision) ? was it good? :)
B. Will the skin be able to adhere once again even though it has (different than the original) scar tissue characteristics?

Thanks in advance men :)

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Secondary surgery for gynecomastia is not uncommon.  Sometimes it's required to provide further correction for a problem that was under-corrected initially, or which was done poorly.  Sometimes, as in your case, over time, some fullness comes back related to increased body fat or other reasons over time.  Results are usually good, though depending on the starting point, some limitations may allow for a less-than-perfect outcome.  That said, the skin will tighten and adhere and healing will proceed normally in most cases.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery