Author Topic: 6 weeks post op should i be worried?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline mellowman26

I had lipo and excision done 6 weeks ago. One side is larger than the other after surgery. I feel a hard lump under the aerola. Both sides are improved but not completely flat. I'm guessing this is scar tissue. I will see my ps in a week and I need to know whether I should request cortisone shots or whether I need to just wait longer to see better results.
Thanks for your guys help

Offline mellowman26

another 6week post op pic

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are still very early in the healing process.  Best to question your surgeon about the apparent difference in size.  There is absolutely nothing that can be done at this time -- just wait it out til the swelling and healing have run their course.  There is no place for cortisone at this time.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline mellowman26

Thanks for your quick response Dr Jacobs.
As far as the one side being bigger than the other side, this was true before I had the gynecomastia surgery. Do you think it will even out? If you were in my shoes, how would you approach this with my surgeon? Is this common 6 weeks after surgery? I assumed by going with a good gynecomastia surgeon, that they would even out both sides. I'm sorry for more questions I'm just really bothered by this and I know you're a expert in this field.
Thanks again for your time and input.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In general, if one side is larger to begin with, then it will take much more healing for it to approach the smaller side.  Factors to be considered:  rib cage abnormalities, asymmetry of the underlying chest muscles, extra growth of breast tissue and fat on one side etc.  All of these can contribute to more stretched out skin on the larger side -- which will take more time to shrink and tighten.

You might take a moment to read this section on my own gyne website: 
ww w.gynecomastianewyork.com/chest-asymmetry.asp  (eliminate the space between the w's)

In essence, you were asymmetric going into surgery -- it will take time to see the results -- and you may never be absolutely 100% mirror image symmetric.  But you will certainly look a lot better.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024