Author Topic: Propecia - effects on gynecomastia?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
Hi everyone,

I was reading up on hair loss - what causes it, and what the treatments are.

Wikipedia says that "The trigger for this type of baldness is DHT, a powerful sex hormone."  So, I did some research on DHT, and it seems that only free testosterone is converted to DHT.  Doing some more reading, some of the treatments for baldness, including Propecia, work by either stopping the conversion of testosterone to DHT, or stop DHT from binding to hair folicules.

Propecia, for example, works by inhibiting 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme responsible for the conversion of free testosterone to DHT.

So, my question is that, since gynecomastia can be caused by having too low of a testosterone level, and too high of an estrogen level, could taking a medicine like this increase my gynecomastia, or make it come back, whenever I have surgery?

Any information is appreciated,
Kyle
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free!

Offline Hypo-is-here

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,7914.0.html

It is all there Kyle.

Don't take Propecia, Proscar or any anti DHT medication.....i've read enough sorry tales.

If in any doubt go to the websites found in that link.  There is a whole community of people around the world who have been badly affected by Propecia.  Gynecomastia is just one of the known problems it can cause.

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
Wow, thank you.
I won't be touching that stuff.

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
Another question:
I have read that it is easier to prevent hair loss, than it is to regain lost hair, but I have not found any more information on this.  Any ideas?  I am just starting to lose my hair, and it would be better to take action now, before it is gone.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Another question:
I have read that it is easier to prevent hair loss, than it is to regain lost hair, but I have not found any more information on this.  Any ideas?  I am just starting to lose my hair, and it would be better to take action now, before it is gone.

I think you're on the wrong Site for answers on such quesionts...   ;D

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
I have taken Propecia for approx 5 years now and it may well have contribuited to my gyno.  However, i have been aware of my gyno since i was 15 years old (now 45) so i cant be sure if it has been a factor in making things worse.  Every thing goes a bit more south as we get older so i cant be certain either way.

It may well be a toss up between moobs or hair - take your pick!  Propecia certainly works in stopping hair loss and even some regrowth. there are differing opinions as to wether it causes gyno.

My question:  if it does cause gyno and you/me stop taking it will any gyno caused subside??

Offline Hypo-is-here

I have taken Propecia for approx 5 years now and it may well have contribuited to my gyno.  However, i have been aware of my gyno since i was 15 years old (now 45) so i cant be sure if it has been a factor in making things worse.  Every thing goes a bit more south as we get older so i cant be certain either way.

It may well be a toss up between moobs or hair - take your pick!  Propecia certainly works in stopping hair loss and even some regrowth. there are differing opinions as to wether it causes gyno.

My question:  if it does cause gyno and you/me stop taking it will any gyno caused subside??

As you age your androgen to estrogen ratio naturally declines, yours will do so more significantly and you have a whole host of problems awaiting you the very least of which is gynecomastia.  But you can only lead a horse to water....

If you can read everything I have wrote via the link and have visited the support groups that detail all the problems caused by Propecia and you still have to ask questions about whether you should stop taking it or not then I have to say I am exacerbated and spent.

P.S

Finasteride causes gynecomastia FACT, Propecia, Proscar and Dusteride's principle ingredient is Finasteride and even the pharmaceutical companies that make them admit that they can cause gynecomastia FACT.  There is NO if about it. 

The only thing in dispute is the numbers of men it affects.  Merk have tried to downplay the number of men who develop gynecomastia and other problems.  Interestingly they have very little trial information, have a vested commercial interest in downplaying the numbers of men adversely affected and in fact are at complete odds with what is seen on the ground in terms of what patients are reporting across the world.....

I have personally seen dozens and dozens and dozens of men come through here complaining of gynecomastia post propecia use.  In fact Propecia crops up more on here as a cause for gynecomastia than steroid use.  And if you doubt that fact ask some of the other long time members/posters who I am sure will confirm this fact.  Propecia posts crop up every week, that is how often we are seeing problems just at this website!!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:43:16 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
Appreciate all the info Hypo, and this may sound simple - but if is top taking Propecia can i rebalance my system!

Offline Hypo-is-here

Appreciate all the info Hypo, and this may sound simple - but if is top taking Propecia can i rebalance my system!

Everyone is different.

What I would say is get shut of Propecia and then;

Join here below

http://www.propeciahelp.com/

You would then need an endocrine assessment in my opinion.  That is a hormones assessment by a hormone expert- given that Propecia affects your hormones.

I might be able to help you with that if you want…finding an endocrinologist in your area I mean.

That said the above assessment would only makes sense if you were three months clear of Propecia.

What do you want to do?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024