Author Topic: No compression vest post op?  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Maddog78

• Posting Member
Got an estimate on getting surgery a couple weeks ago.  The guy is a board certified PS and teaches PS at a local college here in town. He said he does 15-20 of these surgeries a year. I would be having lipo and excision, but when I asked about a compression vest, he said it would not be necessary.  He said the post op bandages would do the job and I would also have drains.  I need some feedback on this because I was under the impression that a compression vest was a must after gyne surgery.

Offline Wheaty

• Posting Member
If its true, your one lucky guy.

I hate this vest, it hurts my back, I cant wash, its awkward, digs into my stomach and just generally annoying.

Tell him that others say they wear the vest for a long time, see what he says. :)

Offline sickman

• Bronze Member
  • moobs aint cool.
thats what the first surgeon said on my first ever consultation..
he said i didnt need it after op, to let the chest breath naturally with bandages
the thought stayed in my head and wouldnt settle
so i changed surgeon arranged it through BUPA (private UK)
and now my op's on 14th July
WITH a compression vest lol
i guess surgeons have different methods, just make sure u trust him
and if u dont, find another one

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I asked about a compression vest, he said it would not be necessary.  He said the post op bandages would do the job.

That PS is prolly right dude. You don't need a full 'vest' for GRS recovery/healing. An Ace bandage would be sufficient enough. Think about it... when you cut yer finger, how much compression is applied when using a bandage? Not much really. Or... if the cut is deep enough, and you require stitches, do stitches apply 100 lbs compression? Of course not dude!  :P   The stitches just 'hold' the wound together as a 'helper' during healing...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline seoulbrova

• Posting Member
i was given a compression strap to use just around the chest, going under my arms.  My surgeon also said that a full torso vest wasn't necessary and considering its over 100 degrees in CA I'm glad I don't have to wear one.

When I go out in a few days, I'll wear underarmour just to be safe.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024