Author Topic: Back to gym... compression vest, to wear or not to wear?  (Read 7374 times)

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
Hi.

When you guys went back to the gym after surgery, did you wear your compression vest while doing the actual work out?

Dr. Benito mentioned swimming to me being good post-surgery, and obviously you'd need to take the compression vest off for that, but I was wondering if the same goes for the gym. My compression vest is uncomfortable and irritates my skin at the best of times, more so since I washed it the last time, and it would be a hell of a lot more comfortable exercising without it.

I am just over 2 weeks post surgery, and am supposed to keep the vest on for 4 weeks.

Cheers folks,

James
Surgery 2nd April with Dr. Benito.

GynO_DuDe

Well I was cycling for 30 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym with my compression vest on 3 weeks after surgery ... I felt it didn't stress my upper body at all and obviously helped me keep the pounds off as I was just lazing about at home, eating and healing.

I'd definitely recommend doing some sort of cardio vascular activity ... and the stationary bike is your best bet!

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
same here, i use an exercise bike at home, i also keep the vest on. im now 6 weeks post op. I still wear mine as i still have a lot of swelling on one side, but i guess each case is different

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
My doc said to wear it 24/7 for 3 weeks with NO exercise until then. He said then I could wear it after that if I noticed swelling after workouts for 1-2 hours.

irish lad

milesed... do you mean to wear the vest for 1-2 hours after gym or does the swelling last 1-2 hours?

cheers

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
bkross. A lot of people on here seem to have been back to the gym within a month. Dr. Benito also mentioned getting back to exercise if I felt ready after the stitches were out. I think it has as much to do with the skill of the surgeon and the person (age/build/lifestyle/healing ability etc), as it does the 'easy'-ness of the op. Maybe yours was just more severe than most. I think every person is different.

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
milesed... do you mean to wear the vest for 1-2 hours after gym or does the swelling last 1-2 hours?

cheers

He said that I might notice some swelling after working out when I first started back. If so, then he said to wear the vest for 1-2 hours. If I had swelling, I never noticed it and so never used the vest after wearing it 24/7 for 3 weeks.

irish lad

ok just checking for future ref cheers

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
I was back in the gym afeer 2 weeks doing 30 min sessions on the stationary bike. In week 3 I started lifting weights but no chest exercises. Week 4 and I managed a moderate chest workout and last week (week 5) I did a pretty heavy chest workout.

In terms on the compression vest, I opted not to wear it to the gym but got a few of the Nike Pro Compression vests to wear instead. I still wear these now for the gym although I have now stopped wearing the surgical compression garment completely, not even for bed.

I would say that I got some swelling afetr my first weight sessions but afetr 2-3 week back on the weights, the swelling is mimimal although not non-existant!

I really think that getting back to the gym early has helped me personally, but this may not always be the case for others as everyone is different.
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

GynO_DuDe

Each to their own. But most people judging by their posts tend to heal at a good fast pace.

All im saying is, go to the gym, by all means go ... but don't go 'extra' just stick to a stationary bike which is working your legs.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024