Author Topic: Post Surgery Syptoms Worries  (Read 4365 times)

Offline carlos98

I  am now 2 weeks into post op, and I am currently rolling out all the scared tissue every night with a rolling pin, usually by the next evening its all build up again. My nipples have a burning feeling thru the day. Right now I am actually more concerned about little pinching feelings around my chest area. They come and go. They bother me alot. When I wake up and get up, my nipples hurt alot. I sleep practically sitting up. One of my nipples doesnt look to healthy. My Doc says it will heel with time. The other nipple is heeling great. I am also worried that I still feel liquid inside the breast with the scared nipple. I already took out the drains.   :-[

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Ask your surgeon about massage.  Has he instructed you to do this?  At this point, massage with an electric hand-held massager should really help your situation.  Check with your surgeon first, though, because different surgeons have different philosophies about postop care.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
So is there any value in massaging if you dont have scar tissue yet? I'm not sure if my nipples are ready for massaging yet...they are still very sore and tender, & my surgeon has not said anything about massage to me.  I think i'm just going to wait for scar tissue to appear then worry about massaging
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I really don't understand the urgency to get rid of the scar tissue. It's not something that can be 'seen' to cause embarrassment or any other psychological grief.

Why not just let Mother Nature do her thang?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I really don't understand the urgency to get rid of the scar tissue. It's not something that can be 'seen' to cause embarrassment or any other psychological grief.

Why not just let Mother Nature do her thang?

GB

Its called impatience.  Guys our age (18-30) don't have much of it.  We just want our results dammit  :-\

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Note to Gorn-
Massage isn't mandatory, and apparently not every PS recommends or instructs it.  But it does help swelling go down more quickly, and more important, it helps it go down more evenly.  Particularly when you've had lipo, as tiny pockets of fluid can develop, and the massage helps sort of even things out.  Your tissue, after lipo, looks like a honeycomb inside, and that's where fluid can collect.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Note to Gorn-
Massage isn't mandatory, and apparently not every PS recommends or instructs it.  But it does help swelling go down more quickly, and more important, it helps it go down more evenly.  Particularly when you've had lipo, as tiny pockets of fluid can develop, and the massage helps sort of even things out.  Your tissue, after lipo, looks like a honeycomb inside, and that's where fluid can collect.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Thanks, that does help.  So I guess my question now is, is there any particular technique that you should use to massage.  Is gentle stimulation of the chest area sufficient or should I try to push the fluid in a certain direction? Also, how long should I do it for, is any time of the day better to do it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Very early massage after surgery can be detrimental -- it can create more inflammation and swelling than it helps.

I usually recommend massage, if at all, beginning 4-6 weeks after surgery.  A lubricating skin cream, such as Lubriderm or Nutragena, can help.  I would perform it gently at first, pressing lightly and there is no particular direction that is important.  The object is to mobilize any fluids that may be collecting.

Later on, when healing is more advanced, you can press firmer.  Many times swelling/scar tissue collects under the areola and causes a protrusion (not a true puffy nipple).  Firm massage, as often as possible, can be helpful in these situations.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
That is exactly what I have been doing and I have to admit I have seen reults but not as fast as i would like, must be the age thing ;)
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024