Author Topic: TriCare (military insurance) coverage?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Gyne19

• Posting Member
Does anyone in the military out there know if Gyne Surgery is covered by TriCare insurance?

I'm 18, if that helps?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Are you military or dependent of military?
Grandpa Dan

Offline Gyne19

• Posting Member
My stepfather was in the Army for 26 years

I think that makes me dependent?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My military experience was many years ago, so what I have to say may not be up to date. But, read on.

Military Service members can get the surgery, even though it is elective surgery, in a Military Hospital. At one time that same service was extended to their families as well. As a Medic myself, the largest departments at one Hospital where I was stationed were Obstetrics and Pediatrics.

Dependent care provisions have changed a lot since then, with a large part now by contract or insurance type coverage and Elective surgery could be rather iffy.

You will need to check on the availability of surgery very soon as you will fall off your fathers coverage and in fact it may already be too late. I think if you are over the age of 18 you must be a full time student to qualify for continued coverage.

Your medical cards should have an information phone number or possibly even a web site where you can get the information you are looking for. Lacking that, contact Veterans Affairs, there are offices in most major cities.

Offline Gyne19

• Posting Member
I'll be going to college full-time this September

But even if I did get free coverage from a military surgeon, I wouldn't take it.

I've seen wayyyy too many horror stories from military surgeons attempting this surgery.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Where? I've seen lots of horror stories, but I don't recall any involving a Military Hospital or Military Surgeon.

Unless you are talking about a procedure performed 30 years ago or more, before the more modern surgical methods were available. Even then, they would have been a product of their time as much as the skill of the surgeons.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It took a bit of hunting, but I found what you were talking about. Most of the cases related to allegations of inadequate prenatal care. Another was a patient who had a chest aneurysm which was not immediately diagnosed in the Emergency room and she died. I found nothing about problems emanating from surgery.

The Hospital has had a new commander since January of 2006 and I found no reports of problems since that time.

Similar problems could arise at any medical facility either civilian or military. Babies are stillborn even in the best of hospitals. Many people who have an aneurysm blow out don't even last until the paramedics arrive, much less make it to the Emergency Room.

You'll have to find a better example than that.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024