Author Topic: Collection of glandular tissue. *Hormone level results!*  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
As I'm loosing weight (down from 240lb to 210 so far @ 6'2") I'm now able to feel more gland in my under arm area.

The main body of it is directly level with my nipple, reaching right round and somewhat over my left lat (Latissimus Dorsi).

As it's not really in the chest area, if I were to have surgery, would this tissue be removed as part of the operation? When I go for my consultation I'll obviously tell the PS where it is, but is it common for gland to run into that area?

I'd apreciate some insight by one of the resident Surgons, and anyone with gyne that had spread to a similar area. It's already been established by a general surgeon I say at a NHS breast clinic that these masses "weren't normal under arm glands". Not sure if he meant it was gland or enlarged (ie not normal) lymph nodes.

In case I've not been too clear in my description, here's a picture of the area where the tissue is. It's not me in the photo, as I don't currently have a digi-cam.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:26:32 PM by Clandestine »

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I really don't see why they would remove it during a breast reduction operation.  It obviously isnt making your nipples puffy so unless it is cancerous or something then why would they mess with it?
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
My first surgeon did not remove the fat and tissue under the arm area. I had to have as second surgery. It is part of the overall chest and should be part of the surgery. If the doctor does not agree to remove it, then find another doctor. No point in doing two surgeries when one will do.
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
mine reaches there too, it's part of the gyne and therefore a professional would take it out as part of the op, i.m.o. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
I understand your reasoning The_G0rn, however this tissue is just as noticable and can also be painful with strenuous arm movement. I can feel (especially on my left) that something is there merely by placing my arms by my sides.

It's definately not making my nipples puffy, the gland underneath them does that just fine  :D but the bump in the skin there is part of the contout of the "micro-boob" that's formed on my left side.

Judging by the position of many peoples under-arm lipo/excision scars, it should be pretty easy to get to. It would look very odd if my gyne was removed and this tissue left IMO, as it is on both sides but larger in my left. I'm definately bi-lateral, but the left is much worse in terms of difused gland everywhere, and much more fat in the area.

It would be much easier to explain this with a picture, I'm  borrowing a camera today. I know for a fact that it's not the worst case ever, but the combination of the pain sometimes when knocked etc, and the unsightly line of the left make it a "bad case" for me, if you know what I mean.

Thanks to the guys that responded also having under arm issues. I thought it was more a complication as most peoples gland seems to be JUST in the main chest area.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:15:03 AM by Clandestine »

DrBermant

As I'm loosing weight (down from 240lb to 210 so far @ 6'2") I'm now able to feel more gland in my under arm area.

The main body of it is directly level with my nipple, reaching right round and somewhat over my left lat (Latissimus Dorsi).

As it's not really in the chest area, if I were to have surgery, would this tissue be removed as part of the operation? When I go for my consultation I'll obviously tell the PS where it is, but is it common for gland to run into that area?

I'd apreciate some insight by one of the resident Surgons, and anyone with gyne that had spread to a similar area. It's already been established by a general surgeon I say at a NHS breast clinic that these masses "weren't normal under arm glands". Not sure if he meant it was gland or enlarged (ie not normal) lymph nodes.

In case I've not been too clear in my description, here's a picture of the area where the tissue is. It's not me in the photo, as I don't currently have a digi-cam.

Under arm sculpture is a component of my surgery.  You can see many examples in the maps drawn on my patients' chest on my website when there is a component there.  Gland is usually located under the areola but can extend towards the armpits.  Check out the normal anatomy of gynecomastia and the many examples of gland removed during gynecomastia photo galleryFat tends to accumulate for men in the belly and chest in bands that extend around the back.  After major weight loss, a component of the deformity can be extra skin. 
Skin Reduction after Major Weight Loss is a series of compromises because of scars.  Chest Lift Male Mastopexy manages this component.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction Surgery

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
Thankyou for the information Dr Bermant.

I managed to get hold of a digital camera, unfortunately because of low light levels (its nearly 7pm in the UK now) they haven't come out great. I've played around with the gamma etc so they look a little better.

I've included a front and a side shot, although I found it difficult to photograph myself in this way.

The highlighted areas show where there's an accumilation of gland. The gland in these locations is different from the glands under my areola, these are like clusters of ball-bearings ranging from 3mm-8mm or so.

Also worth noting is the fact that they were taken in the hallway, and bathroom where windows/doors have been open all day. It was quite cool, so my usual puffy nipples look alot better there.

Notice the rounding under the side with the gland locations marked. This is much more noticable IRL.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:55:03 PM by Clandestine »

DrBermant

Thankyou for the information Dr Bermant.

I managed to get hold of a digital camera, unfortunately because of low light levels (its nearly 7pm in the UK now) they haven't come out great. I've played around with the gamma etc so they look a little better.

I've included a front and a side shot, although I found it difficult to photograph myself in this way.

The highlighted areas show where there's an accumilation of gland. The gland in these locations is different from the glands under my areola, these are like clusters of ball-bearings ranging from 3mm-8mm or so.

Also worth noting is the fact that they were taken in the hallway, and bathroom where windows/doors have been open all day. It was quite cool, so my usual puffy nipples look alot better there.

Notice the rounding under the side with the gland locations marked. This is much more noticable IRL.

We see patients from around the world.  For my Preliminary Remote Discussion, we use Standard After Gynecomastia Pictures to help my patients explore their options.  Photos taken in cold temperature, poor lighting, out of focus, or with arms at uneven positions holding the camera that poorly demonstrate the problem just are not effective form of communication.  In office evaluation is another option where I can feel, examine, and see how tissues move in person.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
I had a blood test yesterday to test my Total Testosterone, Oestradiol (E2) and SHBG.

TESTOSTERONE  : 16.2 nmol/L    Range: 9.90 - 27.80             
SHBG                : 41 nmol/L                Range :10  - 80                 
OESTRADIOL      : 65 pmol/L                Range : 44  - 146   

These are in SI units, so for those in the US that equates to a Testosterone level of 466 ng/dl in a range of 285-801ng/dl.

Not a bad result. Lower than I was hoping for, but not far off. I'm 26 btw. 500ng/dl-600ng-dl was where I thought I should be, but my doctor tells me that I'm within range, in the low middle, meaning it's perfectly fine. Testosterone to Oestrogen level is good, and it's unlikely that any gyne would return at those readings if I did elect to have surgery.

If anyoone else (like me) was refused a blood test on the NHS and would like contact details of the place I used, feel free to reply or PM me. Service is excellent. Premises were superb; clean, tidy, helpful staff. I had my bloods drawn at 9:00am and the results were e-mailed to me at 11:00pm the same day.

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
now im worried that I have gland near my underarm, is there anyway of telling? does it usually happen to people who have puffy nipples exclusively?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024