Author Topic: BEST OVERALL SCAR CARE?  (Read 4784 times)

Offline AvionicsMarine

• Posting Member
just wanted to get a general consensus of the best scar care for after surgery to prevent bad contrasts and speed healing. i noticed from other links that there is alot of products out there and some people use vitaman E, cocoa butter, neosporin, etc. what is proven to work, and how soon to use it after surgery?

DrBermant

just wanted to get a general consensus of the best scar care for after surgery to prevent bad contrasts and speed healing. i noticed from other links that there is alot of products out there and some people use vitaman E, cocoa butter, neosporin, etc. what is proven to work, and how soon to use it after surgery?

Timing depends on the problem to be treated, what was done, and many other factors.  I prefer to individualize the After Surgery Scar Care and After Surgery Compression Garment Therapy for each of my patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline ellington7

• Bronze Member
Do not use Vitamin E.  It causes bleeding...

Offline sasidon

• Bronze Member
i was asked to use Vitamin E ointment....how abt this??
**Surgery done @ Appollo chennai**
Surgeon : Dr K Ramachandran

Surgery exp : http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15201.0
Pics : http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15513.0
**Pretty happy with the results...**
"All you need is to be mentally strong with enough financial support...get them off"

Offline ellington7

• Bronze Member
Im not sure if the external use of vitamin E is a danger, but I know aural intake 2 weeks before to weeks after surgery will cause bleeding.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Vitamin E cream or oil is fine for scars, and only oral ingestion of Vitamin E before surgery Might lead to bleeding.  I usually recommend Mederma Scar Cream, which can be purchased at most pharmacies.  You apply it twice daily to scars.  It forms a clear film when it dries, and that has to be pulled off before the Mederma is reapplied.

Good luck-

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline AvionicsMarine

• Posting Member
how soon after surgery can we start using the maderma? thanks doc!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You want to be sure that the skin edges are sealed.  It's usually good in my opinion to wait about a week before applying any topical agent for scars.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

DrBermant

i was asked to use Vitamin E ointment....how abt this??

I have seen a great deal of hype about Vitamin E scar care treatment, but little proof that it works. I have seen an allergic reaction to the use by one individual. I do not recommend it for my patients. It is my read is that there is no satisfactory proof that one scar care modality is better than another. Scar care does work. It should consist of both massaging and compression. That has been proven nicely. For the massaging component, you do need a lubricant. I prefer the least expensive: cocoa butter.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024