Author Topic: Ibuprofen after surgery? Thoughts?  (Read 4623 times)

Offline damianz

• Posting Member
Just curious what other folks on the board have had recommended to them about using ibuprofen after surgery?  I just had my surgery yesterday.  I followed the recommended two week abstention from using ibuprofen before surgery and was prepared to continue *not* using it for a couple weeks post.  However the friend picking me up from surgery asked my surgeon if I could start using it as it's great with swelling reduction and he said that was fine.

Not to second guess my doctor, but I noticed that some people on the board were told not to use it after surgery.  Any thoughts or experiences with this out there?  I have drains and the bleeding as really slowed down after 24 hours.  I like using ibuprofen for pain (much better than vicodin, IMO) and if it helps with swelling, that seems to be a good thing.

Offline Henry

• Posting Member
Just curious what other folks on the board have had recommended to them about using ibuprofen after surgery?  I just had my surgery yesterday.  I followed the recommended two week abstention from using ibuprofen before surgery and was prepared to continue *not* using it for a couple weeks post.  However the friend picking me up from surgery asked my surgeon if I could start using it as it's great with swelling reduction and he said that was fine.

Not to second guess my doctor, but I noticed that some people on the board were told not to use it after surgery.  Any thoughts or experiences with this out there?  I have drains and the bleeding as really slowed down after 24 hours.  I like using ibuprofen for pain (much better than vicodin, IMO) and if it helps with swelling, that seems to be a good thing.
I was presribed paracetamol & codeine post op. I guess it works, but, as warned, it makes u constipated! I spoke to the doc 7 days post op and told him the whole area was still too painful to touch. He said I should switch to ibuprofen as it helps to heal the nerve endings as well as act as a painkiller. Next day no pain at all.  i took it for another 3 nights and have been pain free since day 7. no idea why i wasnt told to take ibuprofen from day 1. maybe i had to wait a week ???

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024