Author Topic: Wondering about marijuana/THC post-op and regrowth? Read this!  (Read 8187 times)

Offline frank_the_tank

• Posting Member
I wish I had the answer to this question before I had to personally be the "evaluating" test person.
After having my excision / lip for a case 7/10 gynecomastia 6 months ago summer came and I wanted to smoke some hasch and weed.

After endless hours of reading on forums I found no satisfying answers and I ended up with thinking what the hell, if it regrows I'll do a surgery again.

I've been smoking 5 grams per day, for 2 months, approximately at least 100 grams since I had the surgery. I can tell you that it didn't change my condition a bit, there is no such link. Not  that I think it's good to smoke everyday but I was free from work / school for a while and had some money over and thought it's a good way of relaxing post surgery not needing to move so much so I ended up doing it.

Anyway I had a revision yesterday for other reasons, I think the doc could have removed some more fat and I still hadn't got the flat effect I desired, so what he did was "Pulled" my skin in a revision, now I've never heard of this and I don't know the result yet. He did a very little bit of extra lipo to, but he said there came almost nothinig.

Offline johnnybot

• Silver Member
lol at 5 grams a day you might want to start worrying about a marijuana addiction over regrowth... nawww just kidding . But personaly being fat during my teen years Im pretty sure poor diet not enouph excersoces and weed mixed together probably affected my testosterom levels so I think in that period in life it might have an effect

Offline johnnybot

• Silver Member
congrats man I got mine cut out in june but he left like all the gland it goes up my chest and around my back even im sure its going to come back but hopefully when Im much older and my hormones arent as good as they are now but again I seriously dought weed will have an effect on your gyne.

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Glad to hear things worked out for you - but I wouldn't draw conclusions too quickly.  I have read the with drugs like weed and alcohol, it can take a couple years of abuse or more before gynecomastia becomes evident.  You just may also just be one of the lucky ones to not have it affect you OR it could catch up to you in time if you continue smoking that much daily.

I think it is proven though - that excessive use/intake of weed and alcohol for the majority of abusers will alter hormones in the body (I am sure the Docs on this board will concur), you may just be in that minority percentile it does not effect.

Good Luck

Offline frank_the_tank

• Posting Member
I love the input from you guys. ETFhunter, let me put your mind to rest, do NOT for one second think that the weed caused your swolling, I understand your concern post-op, one is worried about everything and you are so careful with this and that, I too was swollen and waited a couple of weeks post op before smoking, I did my research before I decided to smoke. Enjoy your smoke, whenever you have it, and do not fear that the gyne will re-occur. I even asked my surgeon about it, I didn't state it exactly but I said that if I consume different things will it cause my gyne to re-occur and they too were sure it wouldn't, of course one should always do his own homework. Think of this, if a gland has been removed from your body, do you really think it's that simple for that gland to actually re-grow? It probably takes huge hormonal changes to even cause the slightest change, thc simply can't/won't cause that. The problem is there is a lot of fat people that smoke and they already had big breasts before they smoked, and would still have breasts wether they smoked or not. There is no such link.

I agree with that it may take a couple of years of excessive abuse of anything before any hormone changes will affect the body. I just don't think THC has that effect. Having smoked so much myself and really studied this I truly believe that short term and long term it won't affect you, and I've smoked before the surgery too, then I smoked for a couple of years, and I smoked bongs with pure hasch and weed so it wasn't "light" smoking. Things never worsened. I checked out my friends that smoked, their boobs, if they were affected. Checked during a couple of years. I have smoked excessively trying to see if there would be any change, and I know we are all different and so on but the only way it could affect your breasts is if you get the munchies and start eating, then the fat gathering in your body might build up around your chest area. As the way I am built if I start to turn fat it all gatherns primarily around my stomach/waist, of course it could reach your chest too but that fat is different from the "gynecomastia" fat. We have a specific number of fatpockets/cells, they can not divide into more, they just swell up. As a matter of fact, if you smoke hasch and you work out, tobacco and hasch increases the metabolism in the body, if you take care of what you eat, drink only protein drinks in the evenings/nights and keep smoking. You will actually start losing body fat, which I did and your boobs might even become smaller.

I do not smoke anymore since I study at the university but summer is always summer and you never know what happens in the summer, so do NOT fear thc if you are pre-op, post-op because it will never affect your boobs. We are always to concerned about everything and we try to blame anything for the cause or worsening of your gynecomastia, when it all comes down I believe it has to do with genes or taking something that really affects your hormone levels, like oral spirolonactone, or steroids. I think smoking weed is as dangerous as eating soy products (= no effect).

And what I'm writing is backed up by my experience, I've smoked for many years, I've smoked pre-op, post-op therefor I believe what I have to say can be taken seriously.

Feel free to ask any questions as I will try to find the answer for you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:59:00 AM by frank_the_tank »

Offline plifter

• Posting Member
There have been studies showing that marijuana lowers test levels. I would imagine that it would take a lot of time and a lot of toking to lower it to the point of causing gyno. If you are worried, try some Nolvadex as an estrogen antagonist.

Offline LLTrain

• Posting Member
I'd have to agree with plifter...I'm no doctor but I'd say that it'd take smoking 20 grams a day, all day long, for about a year for it to have any type of gynecomastic effect. And if that is the case then you'd have more to worry about than just gynecomastia. I don't see how it could affect you...I don't smoke a lot but I too had G before I ever did smoke.

Offline outkast

• Bronze Member

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Marijuana causes Gynecomastia.  That is not a true statement.

Marijuana does not cause Gynecomastia.  That is not a true statement.

Marijuana users are more likely than non users to have Gynecomastia. True.

With any drug, prescription or not, there is always one question which should be seriously considered. Do the benefits of this drug outweigh the risks of any potential side effeccts?

With the possible exception of a small number of people on chemotherapy, The answer for marijuana is no.

It puts you at increased risk of a lot of bad things, Like going to jail for instance.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:56:06 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
How about trips to the beach instead (post op of course!)

Offline outkast

• Bronze Member

Offline hatingdaboobs

• Posting Member
Had a physical once,the doc felt my chest and asked me if I smoked a lot of pot. That sucked.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Many Myths never die. With respect to Gynecomastia, there are several myths. (none of which are true) Sometimes these myths persist among people like the occasional Doctor who really should know better.

As I noted earlier, there is an increase in the incidence of Gynecomastia among marijuana users. This fact does not establish a cause and effect relationship as some people seem to think. The same is true with obesity, but there are a significant number of young men who have Gynecomastia in spite of being quite lean.

On the other hand, if it was a crime to have mistaken beliefs or to say dumb things; we'd all belong in jail.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
On the other hand, if it was a crime to have mistaken beliefs or to say dumb things; we'd all belong in jail.

You've got that right Dan....  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024