Author Topic: how long t'ill contact sports?  (Read 3549 times)

Offline ThisSucks15

• Posting Member
hey guys,
I'm probably going to get surgery for my "puffy nipples". i was wondering how long it was going to be until i am back to normal. i have hockey 3 times a week and i was wondering how long i was going to be out for. also I'm going to the Caribbean for a rugby tournament in April and i was wondering if you think id be 100% by then if i got the surgery sometime in December.
Thanks !!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I usually allow a return to sports at about 4 weeks after surgery (check with your surgeon as to his recommendations).  However, a return to contact sports such as football, rugby, lacrosse, martial arts, in which you could potentially have a blow to your chest, should be delayed as long as possible to avoid any possible injury to your healing chest.  I would definitely not return to such sports for at least 8 weeks or even longer.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline JamesVH

• Posting Member
I just want to warn you, I had surgery to remove my gyne (I had puffy nipples too) around 4 months ago, and when I get hit suddenly on the area where I have scar tissue it still really hurts...the other day I was playing basketball and the ball hit me in the chest, and it really hurt. It might only take a couple weeks until you can play without risking your results, but it could be longer before you actually feel comfortable playing.

DrBermant

hey guys,
I'm probably going to get surgery for my "puffy nipples". i was wondering how long it was going to be until i am back to normal. i have hockey 3 times a week and i was wondering how long i was going to be out for. also I'm going to the Caribbean for a rugby tournament in April and i was wondering if you think id be 100% by then if i got the surgery sometime in December.
Thanks !!

Recovery time for this surgery is something like a sprain.  Planning timing after surgery is like planning how long someone is out with a sprain.

This is real surgery and tissues need a chance to heal before stressed.  Time to return to activities depends on the problem to be treated, what needs to be done, surgical technique, stress that activity creates on the healing tissues, after surgery care, and many other factors.  While my hockey players that I repaired facial trauma returned to the ice right after the repair, this is elective surgery. Disrupt healing tissues and resulting scars will not look good. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024