Author Topic: Exercise after surgery. What kind, how much, when...etc  (Read 3187 times)

Offline teslacoil

• Posting Member
I had my gyne surgery on December 11th and so far I am pleased. The swelling is 99% gone and the incision scars look good. All I want to do is get back out playing soccer and exercising regularly again. I lift weights and play soccer and was just wanting to know other people experiences getting back into their exercise regimes. Im a little over a month out after surgery and I still feel kinda soar to where lifting might not be such a great idea, but jogging seems do-able, although my doc said no for another couple weeks. So please share your experiences, details of weight training regimes especially and how long you waited etc..

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you trusted your surgeon to do your surgery, then you should trust his post op advice as well.

Each surgeon has a different regimen, based on his own experience.  And sometimes the post-op advice may be adjusted due to what was done in your individual operation.

For my patients -- in general -- I allow a gradual return to exercise after four weeks.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I had my gyne surgery on December 11th and so far I am pleased. The swelling is 99% gone and the incision scars look good. All I want to do is get back out playing soccer and exercising regularly again. I lift weights and play soccer and was just wanting to know other people experiences getting back into their exercise regimes. Im a little over a month out after surgery and I still feel kinda soar to where lifting might not be such a great idea, but jogging seems do-able, although my doc said no for another couple weeks. So please share your experiences, details of weight training regimes especially and how long you waited etc..

Recovery time for this surgery is something like a sprain.  Planning timing after surgery is like planning how long someone is out with a sprain.

This is real surgery and tissues need a chance to heal before stressed.  Time to return to activities depends on the problem to be treated, what needs to be done, surgical technique, stress that activity creates on the healing tissues, after surgery care, and many other factors.  While my hockey players that I repaired facial trauma returned to the ice right after the repair, this is elective surgery. Disrupt healing tissues and resulting scars will not look good.  Then again, many hockey players have suboptimal scars from abuse of healing tissues.

Such issues are best discussed with your surgeon. Modifications from a good after surgery plan is a great formula for disaster.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline teslacoil

• Posting Member
Thanks for your replies docs, I think I should readdress my question though. I have full confidence in my ps and don't plan on rushing or disobeying his recommendations, I just wanted some other peoples advice for what kind of particular exercises to do first and at what intensity, how many sets, reps...etc, when I get the clear from my doctor. My doc is a great surgeon but not a personal trainer. He is kinda vague when it comes to particular exercise questions just because I don't think he lifts or anything. Once he gives me the go ahead i just want some ideas and experiences from other people on how they got back into weight training and the such. So any gym rats out there... advise please.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024