Author Topic: massaging question???????  (Read 3058 times)

Offline wave

• Posting Member
I am about 5 weeks post op.  I still have some swelling, but over all I am happy.  I massage my nipples about 3 times a day and so far i believe it is helping.  Can i massage with any type of lotion or does it need to be vitamin E oil, or cocoa butter or what? I have heard pros and cons about vitamin e oil and cocoa butter has a strong smell.  Is pure vitamin e oil ok to use several times a day?.  Is it the massaging or the lotion that breaks down the scar tissue?  I massage lightly on my nipples, but I also have a pectus excavatum scar that runs across my chest.  I had that surgery when i was four and i am now 32.   Can i be more aggressive with that old scar?  How hard should I massage the old scar?  There is some swelling in the old scar tissue from my gyeno surgery so it pokes out slightly, but it has gone down alot.  Will the massaging help the swelling?  Any input about the lotions(E OIL,cocoa butter or other lotions) and my massaging questions will be very helpful.  THANKS

DrBermant

I am about 5 weeks post op.  I still have some swelling, but over all I am happy.  I massage my nipples about 3 times a day and so far i believe it is helping.  Can i massage with any type of lotion or does it need to be vitamin E oil, or cocoa butter or what? I have heard pros and cons about vitamin e oil and cocoa butter has a strong smell.  Is pure vitamin e oil ok to use several times a day?.  Is it the massaging or the lotion that breaks down the scar tissue?  I massage lightly on my nipples, but I also have a pectus excavatum scar that runs across my chest.  I had that surgery when i was four and i am now 32.   Can i be more aggressive with that old scar?  How hard should I massage the old scar?  There is some swelling in the old scar tissue from my gyeno surgery so it pokes out slightly, but it has gone down alot.  Will the massaging help the swelling?  Any input about the lotions(E OIL,cocoa butter or other lotions) and my massaging questions will be very helpful.  THANKS

I prefer cocoa butter, because of its expense for After Surgery Scar Care. Studies to evaluate scar care creams tend to be subjective, designing good testing parameters is nearly impossible. Too early massaging can continue injuring healing tissues causing new injury and swelling. I prefer surgical techniques and Compression Garments to best manage swelling.

How soon and how hard to massage a particular surgical scar is something I prefer to individualize for each of my patients. I demonstrate how firm on each of my patients. Such issues are best discussed with your doctor who is better familiar with the original problem, what was done and other factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024