Author Topic: Chest massage post surgery  (Read 10877 times)

Offline TXdude

• Posting Member
What's up...new here to the site...I'm really appreciating the wealth of info!

Question: I had gyn surgery 8 days ago. I'm pleased with my results thus far...mild swelling, but no complaints. My surgeon told me to perform chest massages for several minutes a few times a day starting two days post op. It's sore but I have been doing this as instructed. How many of you are doing this post surgery?...and what benefit does it serve?

Thanks

Offline Elesha

• Posting Member
I would also like to know this. My husband was also instructed to do this starting 6 days after surgery and he just seems to be aggravating the healing process underneath (causing more swelling)....

Offline daewoo123

• Posting Member
The surgeon that performed surgery on me warned not to do any massaging till after 30 days post op, he says it promotes swelling.

Offline TXdude

• Posting Member
massaging the chest tissue seems to be aggravating the healing process rather than helping. Not to mention, I'm still very sore and it hurts to massage!

DrBermant

What's up...new here to the site...I'm really appreciating the wealth of info!

Question: I had gyn surgery 8 days ago. I'm pleased with my results thus far...mild swelling, but no complaints. My surgeon told me to perform chest massages for several minutes a few times a day starting two days post op. It's sore but I have been doing this as instructed. How many of you are doing this post surgery?...and what benefit does it serve?

Thanks

Mechanical Scar Care and chest massaging started too soon can damage early healing tissues. Discomfort and swelling can be signs of further injury to early healing structures. I never start scar care so soon on my after surgery patients for that specific reason. I do start my After Surgery Male Chest Compression at the time of surgery which can influence how scar tissue evolves. But this is the Stage 1 Compression Garment to protect the healing tissues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline TXdude

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Bermant.

I'm confused on the 1st stage : 2nd stage 'compression garment' concept.....how long is either stage, and how do you know when your out of stage 1 and into stage 2?

DrBermant

Thanks Dr. Bermant.

I'm confused on the 1st stage : 2nd stage 'compression garment' concept.....how long is either stage, and how do you know when your out of stage 1 and into stage 2?

I prefer to individualize the timing for each of my patients, but in general, the first stage is useful as long as tissue needs protection. The second stage garment can be traumatic to put on. Once scars are optimally soft, there is no advantage to the second stage garment unless it just feels better having it on. This should be question you direct to your own surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024