Author Topic: One for the Dr's? Steroids after surgery - How soon&will it affect scar tissue!?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Whataboob

Hi guys!

Had my surgery last Monday, and as a 'bodybuilder' I'm obvuoulsy keen to get back into the gym and back on steroids to re-gain some of my lost mass! With summer coming up, this is obviously of paramount importance!

I read on Dr Beaumont's website that 2 weeks either side is sufficient time off the anabolics, is this the general consensus?

Will the steriods have an effect on the rate of growth/total growth of the scar tissue?

I will be using Winstrol to start off with as there's no chance of aromatization.

Many, many thanks for any help/advice!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, I am not an expert on hormones or the use of anabolic steroids -- I leave that to the endocrinologists who have spent their professional lives in studying these situations.

All I can tell you is that no gyne operation removes all breast tissue -- to do so would leave you deformed.  Thus, there will be remaining breast tissue on your chest.  And that breast tissue will respond to any stimulation by hormones -- at any time. 

If you resume anabolic steroids after surgery, you run at least some risk of re-growth of tissue.  You are certainly free to believe that your particular choice of drug or drugs will prevent re-growth, but I have my own doubts.  After all, if there was one perfect anabolic steroid that built muscle and had absolutely no side effects at all, don't you think that every bodybuilder in the world would be using that particular drug??

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Whataboob

First, I am not an expert on hormones or the use of anabolic steroids -- I leave that to the endocrinologists who have spent their professional lives in studying these situations.

All I can tell you is that no gyne operation removes all breast tissue -- to do so would leave you deformed.  Thus, there will be remaining breast tissue on your chest.  And that breast tissue will respond to any stimulation by hormones -- at any time.  

If you resume anabolic steroids after surgery, you run at least some risk of re-growth of tissue.  You are certainly free to believe that your particular choice of drug or drugs will prevent re-growth, but I have my own doubts.  After all, if there was one perfect anabolic steroid that built muscle and had absolutely no side effects at all, don't you think that every bodybuilder in the world would be using that particular drug??

Dr Jacobs

Hi Dr Jacobs,

Thanks very much for your reply.

As far as the drug goes, it has plenty of side effects, gyno just doesn't happen to be one of them. Also, the use of any other steroids with proper use of AI's would prevent any gyno occurrence. You can actually reverse gyno with certain drugs, I shrank mine significantly and know quite a few people who have reversed it completely.

So although, of course, I'm running a risk of gyno again, I believe it to be a very small one and seeing as bodybuilding is a huge part of my life, a risk I'm willing to take.

The concern I have is the effect on scar tissue growth, I can't find much info on it on the net!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it's most appreciated.  :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Putting the question of steroids aside, the growth of scar tissue is an individual process -- and very much unpredictable.

Dr Jacobs

Offline gman24

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024