Author Topic: Dealing with post op compression vest  (Read 2934 times)

Offline CGold19

• Posting Member
Hey. i'm concluding night 3 of my post op. The vest is killing me. Can't sleep, it squeezes my sides (since I'm kinda chubby) and causes discomfort, and my back is sore. Christ I've probably gotten MAYBE 5 hours of sleep this entire time. I'm really running on empty with little energy at this point. The pills only do so much. I mean I can't stretch my back straight without hurting and dragging down my chest. As I mentioned before, I'm a bit on the chubby side so its hurting the areas above my hips/kidneys seeing as that is where the  vest ends. I've been a stomach sleeper all my life and it's absolutely miserable trying to sleep on my back, not to mention PROPPED up with pillows. i get maybe 1 1/2 hours a night max. I'm loading up on caffeine now in the mornings.

I don't go to see my doctor for another 5 days and this is grueling, hellish. worse than any other medical issue I've ever experienced.

Help?

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Would a slightly larger vest help?

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
You may need a larger vest,normally when they are new they tend to be a little to tight but eventually adjust to your body in time,for your case its been a few weeks i think one size up will do the trick. good luck

Offline nomore-jiggles

• Posting Member
hey gold,

you'll get used to it. before you know it you won't even notice you're sleeping on your back. just hang in there.  6 weeks of this is worth it in the end. After I took my vest off I still slept on my back, it just became normal for me.

Offline papashango9

• Posting Member
The first week was very hardy to sleep. My docs asst was kind enough to prescribe ambien so that helped ! It took about a week to get used to sleeping on my back. And the first 5 days of the garment sucked but how it's no big deal. It actually feels good bc with it off my chest feels sensitive and vulnerable, swollen etc. I'm actually worried how it's going to be with it off in a week.

Offline bluephiman72

• Posting Member
Use your best judgment and speak with your doc. The vests are suppose to be tight, but not confining or feel like you're in a straight jacket. I bought two vests, an XL and XXL. I wanted the extra compression during the day as it seemed to really help with the swelling and skin contraction. It does start to feel better after a while. But make sure to stay consistent with wearing it, your final results depends on it!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024