Author Topic: ^^^^Doc said mastectomy?!^^^  (Read 2779 times)

Offline mothamercy

• Posting Member
Hey all....just getting ready for my surgery on the 16th!

just had a question, the Doc said he called my mom and said i was getting a "full mastectomy"

can anyone tell me what this means?

im guessing lypo & gland removal......

also, will removing some gland take care of the puffy nips?   thanks a BUNCH, cya guys

Offline mothamercy

• Posting Member

Offline brooknam10

• Posting Member
(mas-tek-to-me): surgery to remove all or part of the breast and sometimes other tissue. Modified radical mastectomy removes the breast, skin, nipple, areola, and most of the axillary lymph nodes on the same side, leaving the chest muscles intact. Partial, or segmental, mastectomy removes less than the whole breast, taking only part of the breast in which the cancer occurs and a margin of healthy breast tissue surrounding the tumor. Prophylactic mastectomy is a mastectomy done before any evidence of cancer can be found, for the purpose of preventing cancer. Quadrantectomy is a partial mastectomy in which
www.cancer.org/docroot/GRY/GRY_0.asp

Surgery to remove all or part of the breast and sometimes

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I suspect that the surgeon will not be doing the full Radical Mastectomy,  but something less.  Though his use of the term would suggest that he will be doing somewhat more than excision and liposuction.  Possibly reducing the areola and removing excess skin as well.

Then again, it is really kind of dumb for me to speculate in this way.

What I really should have done was simply to have you ask your surgeon what he meant.

Good luck
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024