Author Topic: Reducing Scarring after Surgery  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Sampson

• Posting Member
So does anyone know the best way to prevent scarring.  My doctor gave me Mederma; however, I have read that Scar Guard is better.  Has anyone had sucess with any these two or other products.  Any information would help.  Thanks all.

Offline vaio

• Gyne free, is the way to be!
1.Don't expose the scar to sunlight
2.Use the mederma
3. (If you have a high pain tolerance) take a knife and gently scrape the surfave of the scar, and than put the mederma on.

I did that on a large scar I have on my hand, and as a result it is completly flat and matchs the surrounding skin perfectly. You can't even tell its there.

I calll it self Dermabrasion  ;D
$2,800 = Freedom!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/album?.dir=7e36&.src=ph&am p;store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/my_photos

Offline nope1

• Gold Member
I must say I do not agree with #3...I don't know first hand, but I personally would not recommend it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 04:26:58 PM by nope1 »

Offline Sampson

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advice...however, I believe I will stay away from the knife.  Does anyone know anthing about Scar Guard for treating new scars?  

Offline benny1

• Posting Member
My doc had me rub vitamin E on the scar.  I'm also ingesting vitamin E pills in the morning.

Offline noMas

• Posting Member
  • now Gyne Free!
silicon gel sheeting works..read up on it
Bi-lateral Excision w/lipo 11.8.04

Offline rayray416

• Posting Member
Use the Mederma, but the important thing is to massage with come pressure where there is scar build up.  The massage will help the scar lay down better and the mederma will help to lighten the scars appearance.  I use mederma twice a day and my scars are virtually unnoticeable.

DrBermant

So does anyone know the best way to prevent scarring.  My doctor gave me Mederma; however, I have read that Scar Guard is better.  Has anyone had sucess with any these two or other products.  Any information would help.  Thanks all.

There are no decent studies to prove what After Surgery Scar Care products are better. The problem is designing testing that quantitates a scar that is reliable but not sadistic or painful. The hype that most surgeons give Mederma samples is just that, hype. That company used to offer their product samples to the doctors' office for free. They recently stopped offering their regular product and only offer the one with sun protection. I stopped accepting those free samples because the sun "protection" is a false sense of security and can result in nasty dark scars. Sun Protection is a relative term. Expose a "sun protected" region long enough and it will tan. Tan a scar, and the scar may remain permanently pigmented and never give up that tan.

Second Stage After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garments also makes a significant improvement in scar quality. Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024