Author Topic: One week post op  (Read 2250 times)

Offline JShadow

I am 34 years old and had surgery with Dr. Alex Chambers in London on Friday 15 August. I posted about it in the Surgery Experiences section.

I must mention, since I think this may be affecting my recovery, that I was a smoker up to about a week before the surgery. I booked the surgery in June and finally gave up smoking and haven't had a cigarette since Wednesday 6 August, a little over a week before the surgery. I know ideally I should have given up sooner or not smoked at all.

I had the first follow-up appointment the next day, Saturday 16 August, with one of the staff members. (On the day of the surgery I was given Dr. Chambers' phone number and other emergency numbers.) The dressings over my nipples were changed and I noticed that my left nipple was a dark colour. I was told not to remove the wound dressings but I could change the plasters over the dressings on my nipples, and was told to only have sponge baths. Another follow-up appointment was scheduled for Wednesday 20 August.

Dr Chambers was present at the second follow-up appointment on Wednesday. When the dressings were changed I again noticed that my left nipple was a very dark colour. I was again instructed not to disturb the wound or dressings and to only wash with a sponge. Dr Chambers asked me to lift my arms. At that stage, and today still, my chest muscles seem a bit stiff and sore, so extending and lifting my arms all the way is not possible without some pain, so I haven't forced it and I haven't tried to do any stretching since it was still in the first week of recovery. I have since tried some light stretching but not much.

I went back to the clinic yesterday, Saturday 23 August, for the third follow-up appointment, and Dr Chambers was present again. We talked about the dark colour of my left nipple and she said that she is concerned that I am slow to recover but that she thinks that the nipple should heal, and I have another appointment next Friday.

Offline JShadow

I'm just back from my second week post op review appointment. The centre of the left nipple now has some colour and is looking much better. There is still some swelling and bruising, but much improved as well. Like the previous follow-up appointments, I received ultrasonic cavitation and vacuum massage treatments. My arms are still pretty stiff, and when I mentioned this I was told that this week would be a good time to start stretching it out slowly, a little further every day. My nipples were again injected with a growth treatment and the wounds were dressed, and until my next review appointment next week I have to keep up cleaning my upper body with a sponge only and not disturb the dressings. I can't wait to be able to shower again, but of course I'll stay focused on healing with minimal scarring for now. I can't wait to have a good look at the result without the dressings either, but so far so good.

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
Do you mind sharing some before and after pics?

Offline JShadow

The bruising is pretty much gone (3 weeks now) but there is still some swelling. The colour is back in both nipples. The surgeon reassured me earlier on, but still a great relief. I'll try and post some photos at 6 weeks or when the swelling is resolved.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024