Author Topic: post op healing questions  (Read 7395 times)

Offline infinity123

• Posting Member
Hi Guys, this site is a life saver. I had surgery about 11 days ago. The day after surgery I was amazed to see my chest: damn near totally flat. In fact my first impression was that I would have to do push-ups and bench pressing just to get some contour back in my chest. But it seems like over the past three days or so that my chest has gotten bigger again. There is definitely swelling and still some serious bruising, which leads to my first question: I know it can take months for results to really kick in, but is it common for the effects to be so apparent right after surgery and then get questionable for a while?

A second, and much scarier question that is haunting me, is this: I've had unilateral gyn for 20 years (since puberty). A couple days before surgery my endo results came in and my testosterone level was very low. I've read that low testosterone can cause gyn by throwing off the ratio between testosterone and estrogen, which can lead to breast development. My surgeon didn't think this would lead to a recurrence of gyn, since I'd had it in a pretty stable way for 20 years. But with the recent growth, or swelling, or whatever it is over the last few days, I'm getting worried that maybe I should consider testosterone supplements to get my level in the normal range. If anyone has any insights on this, please let me know.

Thanks

Offline dav242

• Bronze Member
What you're seeing now is definitely NOT new glandular growth. If your T levels are so low as to make that a problem, it will take time. It's important to address both questions, but also important to see them as separate.

Swelling is normal but if it's insanely swollen, you should check in with your doc.

If your T levels are very low, discuss supplements with your endo. See what he/she thinks.

yah - agreed. if you know your T levels are low, definitely see an endo!

Offline infinity123

• Posting Member
Thank you very much. So long as it's normal to be flat-chested after surgery and for a few days, and then swell up, then I won't worry too much.

My testosterone level was around 320, which is not "low but normal" but rather "low and you might consider supplements". But I don't have symptoms of low testosterone. My fear is a recurrence of gyn. I saw this comment by the surgeon Dr. Silverman: "I operated on a fellow in his early 40's. He hadn't used steroids for about 5 years. His surgery went well....and then I didn't see him for a couple of years. When he showed up next time, he had bigger breasts than he'd had the first time. After making sure that nothing else was wrong with him, it seemed that the likely cause of his recurrence was his dropping testosterone levels associated with aging."

I did not use steroids. And I'm probably over-reacting, but the complexity of being post surgery with serious swelling (hopefully it's just swelling...) AND finding out that my testostonoe level is very low has me concerned. On the other hand, I've heard that testosterone supplements can also cause gyn.

Offline goaliesuperstar

• Bronze Member
I am having surgery in 2 weeks and my endo told me that I had "normal" low testosterone and that there was no chance of my gyno returning after surgery. He also said that he'd like to see me in 1 year to see how the surgery went and if my hormones are still ok as perhaps the blood test could have just caught me on a bad testosterone day or something of the such.

My recommendation is to keep contact with your endo and make sure you are under his or her supervision, that way you know that nothing can go wrong! Good luck!

Offline infinity123

• Posting Member

Offline tittyman111

• Bronze Member
Infinity,

I had the surgery 3 days ago....5 minutes to 2 hours after the surgery i was like "holy s**t that looks good" then around 7 hours later till present, they look puffy again. im kinda worried that they may of been cold and stimulated at the docs office and thats why they looks so good. but hopefully its just swelling like you said. im anxious to see what they look like after some good healing. hopefully yours will come back around as well.
anyone else notice this?

Offline aloe

• Bronze Member
I found this at askmen.com

Normal levels of testosterone fall between 250 and 800 nanograms of testosterone per deciliter of blood. However, levels in the same man vary according to time of day, season and exercise. Therefore, your doctor must conduct an entire physical examination to determine whether or not you are suffering from the disorder.

If you want to measure your testosterone level yourself, however, there are ways to do so. Testing kits allow you to measure the amount of available testosterone for use in your bloodstream; simply gather a sample of your saliva and mail it to a lab for analysis. Doctors and physicians will then identify any preventable hormone imbalances in your system and recommend solutions to normalize your testosterone level.

Offline supaaman

• Silver Member
Infinity,

If you read through people's posts, time and time again you see your story.  Incredibly flat right after surgery, then puffy-swollen-bruised for a number of weeks.  It seems that most guys are happier at 3 months, happier yet at 6 months, and quite satisfied at 1 yr (generally speaking).  You have to keep an eye out for extreme swelling, hematoma, and infection.  It also seems that many have a depression-like state for a period (usually a few weeks after surgery), so be wary and prepared for that.  Keep posting for support from those that have went through the same to reaffirm.

I think you just have to relax and wait for a year.  I think you have got good advice above on keeping tabs with the endo on T levels, but it sounds like yours are not unusually low levels, so I think you will be fine.

Keep us posted!
JCF  Success Story - Surgery Aug 23, 2006

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
for me.. its not swelling but scar tissue build-up underneath the entire aerola area, which appears as blobs , lumps reminiscent of chunky cottage cheese.

I had an excision+lipo revision surgery 7 weeks ago, today.

from day 1 till week 5 everything looked great, completely flat and amazing. everything I dreamt of, but never achieved the first time round (1 year earlier)....

The last 2 weeks everything has gone bad, massive scar tissue development has occured, nipples are rock-hard, lumpy and "puffy" again, and showing through all my t-shirts once more.

I am just hoping and praying that everything will go back to how it was in weeks 1-5 post-op.
... and the saga continues

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
for me.. its not swelling but scar tissue build-up underneath the entire aerola area, which appears as blobs , lumps reminiscent of chunky cottage cheese.

I had an excision+lipo revision surgery 7 weeks ago, today.

from day 1 till week 5 everything looked great, completely flat and amazing. everything I dreamt of, but never achieved the first time round (1 year earlier)....

The last 2 weeks everything has gone bad, massive scar tissue development has occured, nipples are rock-hard, lumpy and "puffy" again, and showing through all my t-shirts once more.

I am just hoping and praying that everything will go back to how it was in weeks 1-5 post-op.

I keep reading stories like this and i am about to take the plunge 2 weeks from today.  Are you guys saying that you had the surgery, and then swelling made you look like you never had surgery?  Or, are you saying, I paid this doc all this money, why am I not perfect?  That isn't a crack on anyone, because you have the right to be picky when you paythis kind of money.  Myself, I am 6'4'' 275,  built like a construction worker.  So, as long as it is not overly obvious that I had surgery and I am pretty flat I will be happy.  I have a very noticable case, but I will go swimming. I don't keep my shirt of when I get out of the pool, but the cold water gives me enough cover to get by.  I would like to be able to walk around shirtless and not pinch my nips.  Get in a hot tub, and not have to turn my back when I get out.  You know what I mean? I am rambling, because I would like to set my expectations. Since you guys know the deal,  I would like your to hear your responses to want I am looking to get out of this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 05:17:20 AM by jones357 »

Offline kinesic

• Posting Member
Jones: Everyone recovers at different rates and in different ways, and it depends to no small extent on whether you get excision, lipo, or both. Can you describe your gyne in a bit more detail? Do you just have puffy nipples, for example? Or do you have more noticeable "breast" tissue?

I can tell you this much, based on my experience. Your nipples won't shrink as much in the cold in the month after post-op, due to swelling and scar tissue build up. If you're just getting bilateral excision (removing glandular tissue beneath your nipples, no lipo), expect some internal scar tissue, but don't worry about the external scars. Mine are already barely noticeable, and it's only been a month.

However, though you might not look /better/ until a few months after surgery when your body has more fully recovered, you most likely won't look worse. So if you're comfortable taking your shirt off with the gyne you presently have, I don't see you having a problem after surgery. I wouldn't try until after a few weeks to a month, though. But there aren't any guarantees with this stuff, so it's entirely possible your experience will be different (for better or worse) than my own.

Good luck!

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
Thanks,  I wouldn't say I have a cup size. I am barrel chested, but instead my chest pulling tight, it sticks out at least 1-2 inches and then I have puffy nips for good measure.  I guess if my whole chest swells, and it doesn't stick out in such an isolated area I would be more comfortable. Being a big guy, I am not expected to take off my shirt and be ripped. It is hard to imagine that it won't get better.  Was it hard for you to imagine your skin tightening up?  If I bend over, I have some hang, will sucking out the fat make the skin stop hanging?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:29:32 AM by jones357 »

Offline kinesic

• Posting Member
I don't have any excess lipid tissue in my chest, only puffy nipples, so hanging skin wasn't a real concern for me going into surgery. To the best of my knowledge, if a lot of lipid tissue is removed and there is excess skin, the surgeon will remove it. I've never undergone lipo-suction, so you'd be better off asking someone who has. Cheers.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

I keep reading stories like this and i am about to take the plunge 2 weeks from today.  Are you guys saying that you had the surgery, and then swelling made you look like you never had surgery?  Or, are you saying, I paid this doc all this money, why am I not perfect?  That isn't a crack on anyone, because you have the right to be picky when you paythis kind of money.  Myself, I am 6'4'' 275,  built like a construction worker.  So, as long as it is not overly obvious that I had surgery and I am pretty flat I will be happy.  I have a very noticable case, but I will go swimming. I don't keep my shirt of when I get out of the pool, but the cold water gives me enough cover to get by.  I would like to be able to walk around shirtless and not pinch my nips.  Get in a hot tub, and not have to turn my back when I get out.  You know what I mean? I am rambling, because I would like to set my expectations. Since you guys know the deal,  I would like your to hear your responses to want I am looking to get out of this.

look man,
I dont mean to scare anyone here, the bottom line is that I am still in a better way than I was pre-op.
Its just that most people who get gyne surgery expect 70-80%+ improvement of their condition...

fOR 4-5 WEEKS POST-OP Id say that my chest honestly was about 85-90% improved. near perfect.

with the build up of massive scar tissue after the 4-5 week mark came all sorts of problems with chest contour and nipple puffiness (exactly what happened to me with my first surgery 1 year prior) , andthe  level of improvement went down to what I would (as objectively as possible, however hard it is to be objective) assess to be about a 30-35% improvement on my pre-op chest. :'( :'(

Now... how many people would have the surgery if they received a vision from the future that depicted... 30% improvement , no more no less.

For some thats hard to live with. hopefully it will see improvements again as months go by.

Offline jones357

• Silver Member

look man,
I dont mean to scare anyone here, the bottom line is that I am still in a better way than I was pre-op.
Its just that most people who get gyne surgery expect 70-80%+ improvement of their condition...

fOR 4-5 WEEKS POST-OP Id say that my chest honestly was about 85-90% improved. near perfect.

with the build up of massive scar tissue after the 4-5 week mark came all sorts of problems with chest contour and nipple puffiness (exactly what happened to me with my first surgery 1 year prior) , andthe  level of improvement went down to what I would (as objectively as possible, however hard it is to be objective) assess to be about a 30-35% improvement on my pre-op chest. :'( :'(

Now... how many people would have the surgery if they received a vision from the future that depicted... 30% improvement , no more no less.

For some thats hard to live with. hopefully it will see improvements again as months go by.

You make a good point,  I wouldn't have done this for 30% improvement.  Especially when you consider the price and recovery.  How bad were you?  Are you a thin guy?  (Probably not with your name) I have gone back and forth with people on who has it worse, thin guys or big guys.  I will say, that I think that thin buff guys probably have a tougher time getting results that fit their body.  I think that is all we really want.  I you have 8% body fat, you want to look like 8% body fat in your chest, which is hard for the PS,  but if you are 15% or 20% you don't expect your chest to look like it is 5%.  So, it might be easier for a PS to deliver a chest that looks 15%-20%.  So, I just wonder what you were like pre op.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024