Author Topic: Minimize Scar Appearance  (Read 3970 times)

Offline wbrooks

• Posting Member
I am 5 days post op of both gynecomastia and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgeries.  Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for cream (or other products) to help minimize the appearance of scarring.  

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member

Offline spaceace

• Bronze Member
How bad are the scars after an excision only surgery?

Is there any company currently working on making scars invisible?

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
My PS told me aloe vera products... I guess that would include aloe vera cream, gel etc... I think gel would be best

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
when your skin is healed on the outside, use silicon sheets.  Not bed sheets, which is what I thought when I first read about them.  They are something you can buy online or at a drug store.  you tape it to the area and it makes your scar heal flat.  I guess scar tissue is not uniform if you look at it under a microscope.  These sheets somehow help the tissue heal in a more uniform pattern.  That is what makes the scar flat.  I would bet that your gyne scar is invisible in a few months.  You will not find one post here about someone 6 months out that is worried about a gyne scar.  mine is invisible.  the tummy tuck will leave a more visible scar, because it can't blend into anything like a nipple scar.  I would definately use the sheets to minimize that scar as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:44:53 AM by jones357 »

Offline unisys

• Bronze Member
How many days after surgery did you guys wait to start scar treatment?

Offline jimyd77

• Posting Member
My PS told me to wait until everything is closed up and dry...then to start using silicone sheeting.

DrBermant

I am 5 days post op of both gynecomastia and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgeries.  Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for cream (or other products) to help minimize the appearance of scarring. 

I prefer to use a compression vest after gynecomastia surgery for many reasons explained on that link.  I use first stage compression, to protect tissues.  Second stage protection is for scars.  I also use  compression for my Tumescent Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty surgery.  Surgical technique is a major factor in Tummy Tucks.

Scars that heal under pressure are often much softer than scars without scar therapy or pressure.  I prefer to individualize the scar care and compression needs for each of my patients.  Such issues are better discussed with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024