Author Topic: THOUGHTS - PLEASE  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Glj570

• Posting Member
Hi,

I had my procedure this past Tuesday.  I am following all the post op instructions to the "T".  That said, the Compression Vest - mu goodness.  I totally have a sheet where I created  a countdown to the day I can stop wearing it 24/7.  My PS told me 2 week,s 24/7.  I am doing that and only take it off for showering.  That said, It is TIGHT -  I mean I am able to breathe but for example. last nigh sitting at Shabbat Dinner I wanted to take it off as it was so tight on mu stomach and I wasn't eating a lot of food.  Has anyone else taken theirs off during dinner etc to actually enjoy a meal or do folks truly do a 24/7, literally.  It is much more comfortable when I am laying down at an and;e of course but I do need to go back to work this coming Wed.  Thankfully, I work from hime most of the time but just wanted to A., vent a little and B, ask for any suggestions from anyone else.  Oh, I have a t-shirt, under it to assist in the itchy skin department - seems to help a lot.  :-)  Any feedback appreciated....I will do what I need to do of course, not suggesting I take it off etc. - but how did/do folks get through the "vest" part.

Jeffrey

hammer

Jeffery, I would just like to remind you of an old saying to think about.

" will the end justify the means"?

I have not had this surgery, as I've decided to accept, but what I'll relate to it is I've had both knees replaced with prosthetics. For recovery it is recommended to use a "constant passive motion" CPM machine as much as often as you can during the first month of recovery. I know many people that were not willing to put out the money or devote to time to or for the machine and their recovery and final results are not very good, in fact, some I know are so unhappy will not get there second knee done in fear of another failure.

I used the machine on both replacements, it was paid for by insurance, and I would use it every other hour for 30-45 min. By my one month check up I had 100% range of motion on my knees!

The only thing I will say about the prosthetics is they are not the real ones but I don't have the old terrible pain any more, but you can hear me coming if it is quiet as they make noise as they move, and if it is damp it feels like I have three pounds of potatoes in a one pound bag!

Offline Glj570

• Posting Member
Thanks for the quote, I shall think of it often.  I agree with you - I know what I am doing now will reap all the benefits I am looking forward to, :)  Appreciate it......

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
2 weeks seems quite short, most surgeons suggest 4-6 weeks. I had mine on 24/7 except for showering and washing for 6 weeks, but yours sounds like it may be a bit tighter than mine was. It was only uncomfortably tight when I had the gauze underneath (ie. first 24 hours).

Offline Glj570

• Posting Member
Thanks - yeah they say 24/7 - 2 weeks.  Then during the day or night for a week or so afterwards.  That, of course assuming the 2 week visit goes well.  I have to say, minor scarring and my chest looks good - hope that means, 2 weeks for sure.  BUT, time will tell.  Yes, I think I could have ordered an XXL vs. XL but didn't realize it.  In the meantime, countownd is on.  :-)

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
In the big picture it's a very short time to maximize the results for something you've wanted to change for years.

While it probably wouldn't hurt to take it off occasionally, I think doctors stress 24/7 because an hour here or there would slip into a few hours a day for most guys.

I had my surgery in late January.  I didn't wear my vest to an event we had on a Saturday night about 2 weeks in.  My left side was more swollen when I got home.  though it was likely pure coincidence- I kicked myself for it.

I get where your coming from though.  My doctor normally advises 24/7 for 3 weeks.  Because I had a pretty severe case and he worried about dropping skin- he said before surgery we may go 5.  Things looked so good at my 2 week visit that he said I could to to nights only after 3 weeks.  Though he recommended to try to have it on at least 10-12 hours.  So sometime around 6:30 every evening, I'd put it back on.  

A week ago I passed my 5th week....and I still put it on a few days last week.  I've gotten this love/hate thing going with it.

Don't sweat the fear people can see it.  Because it's so tight, you are always aware of it. But if you layer, no one is gonna see it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:34:22 AM by rhyno18 »

Offline post-op-success

• Posting Member
the compressive vest sure is uncomfortable, but mine isnt nearly as tight as you describe. I can pretty much move around freely in it and it certainly doesn't incapacitate me to breathe. maybe you're wearing a size too small?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024