Author Topic: Effects of marijuana use post-surgery on tissue growing back.  (Read 3149 times)

Offline SixftShaq

Dear all,

I am a 22 years old college student, and had surgery to remove excess breast tissue almost three weeks ago. I've had gynecomastia since puberty, and was overweight for most of my puberty as well. Since college, I've changed my lifestyle, losing a lot of weight, going to the gym etc., leaving me at 75 kg at 1m88. I still had small man boobs and puffy nipples so I decided to go through with surgery, realizing it was the only way to finally feel comfortable with my body.

My question is the following: now that I am recovering well and should look great between now and a couple of months, what could be the effect of smoking marijuana, after being fully recovered of course?

My surgeon has told me that they always leave a very small portion of the breast tissue behind the nipple for aesthetic reasons, because it could collapse or create other issues. He's told me that I should stop smoking marijuana because this could cause the remaining tissue to start growing again.

If there truly is a connection, would the odds of this happening be high even when smoking recreationally, e.g. every one or two weeks?

I've done much research on the internet but I find conflicting results, mostly stating that there is probably a connection but it can't be proven conclusively.

Would I really be taking a big risk if I smoke a joint or two during one day per week or two weeks?

If the answer to my questions is yes, confirming the connection and big risk, is there any measure that I can take to offset this risk, enabling me to smoke after all?

I am aware of the other health issues smoking marijuana can cause, and I know it is a bad habit, but experiencing its effects every once in a while is something important to me, just like other people can enjoy the effects of a couple of beers.

Thank you for reading and hopefully for responding to this post with useful information :)

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I have known literally many hundreds of guys who smoked marijuana since the 60s.  There are a couple of medications/drugs that are used for prostate and male balding, and Risperadol for instance known to occasionally cause some male breast growth.  In my experience marijuana causes breast growth about as well as it restores hair growth on the head.  I have never known of a single case of hair restoration by smoking pot or massaging the resin into the scalp.  It isn't Rogaine.  I makes a hell of a scare story though.  There are anywhere from dozens to hundreds of medications, herbs, foods and such that have had possible breast enlargement listed for it, not PROVED, just suspected as a side effect because in some number of cases of every drug on the market somebody taking it somewhere has some breast growth.  After all masturbation causes insanity, blindness and hairy palms as everybody knows.  If gyne had been a concern 150 years ago you would see that listed as a masturbation side effect too.

There might be some evidence somewhere.  However, the studies needed to prove that there is or is not a link can't even be done easily as long as it is a schedule 1 drug. 

Offline lallo

• Posting Member
I dont think smoking every now and then will make any difference.
Maybe if u smoke a couple of joints everyday you should consider your habits, not only for gyno reasons. But once a week... I dont THINK there is a problem with it.

But I'm wondering as well...

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There have been animal studies that indicated that marijuana would raise the estrogen levels of male animals that consumed the Marijuana.  The change was not great, but it was definitely an increase.
Most lists of likely causes of Gynecomastia that I have seen from reputable sources (Like Mayo Clinic) include Marijuana.  
In reality, there is no proof that it will cause Gynecomastia in all men, but there is enough of a link that I personally will never use the stuff myself. 
It might be most accurate to say that it might, in susceptible individuals.   Since you already know you are a susceptible individual,  Why risk it?
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024