Author Topic: Scar tissue--what time frame did u have for it breaking up? Docs?  (Read 5147 times)

Offline bhut2180

• Posting Member
I had surgery on 9/11 with lipo and excision and initially I was extremely amazed, shocked, and exited about how flat my chest was, over the last 4-5 days I have had what I believe to be scar tissue develop within every area of excision and lipo which has puffed out those areas again about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  The tissues below the skin are stiff and I feel like I have this inner strap around the front of my chest and under my arms tensing the muscles and pulling on the skin.  It seems like as I continue to massage the area is growing.  If it is scar tissue, it is on my lat muscles which is limiting how high I can put my hands above my head because it feels like something is going to tear if I reach any further.  I stopped wearing the medical compression vest after 6 days and began wearing a 'UnderArmor' compression shirt, which doesnt compress as strongly but allows more movement than the vest did. 

So here is what I am anxiously concerned about, is this scar tissue? 
If it is, why is it so thick and soo much, swelling up these areas noticably??
What massage methods did you use that worked?
How long did it take for the hardness and pulling on the muscles begin to soften??
Any recommendations on what would be helpful?

Thanks

Offline bhut2180

• Posting Member
Guys I could definitely use your advice, experience, and support.  I am really bothered by the amount of swelling and these hard as steel 3 inch wide tissue spots under both of my arms, below my armpits where the PS did lipo.  The swelling especially on the right side where there was more glandular tissue is swollen with scar tissue to the nearly the same as it was pre-surgery, the left side still swollen but not as much. 

I went to the doctor yesterday and he said that because I had been pretty active over the weekend, I was the best man at my good friend's wedding, that this was somewhat normal and would take 6-8 weeks to dissipate.  He encouraged me to continue massaging the area. 

It would be encouraging to hear from some of you guys post surgery to see if you dealt with this, how long it took to dissipate, did it dissipate, those sorts of things.

Appreciate whatever you have to offer

Offline elyk40

• Posting Member
I am having the exact same thing going on without as much swelling as your  having, but pretty much everything else you describe.  I feel what I believe is to be scar tissue forming (hardness and pulling of the skin).  I have had 4 of these surgeries over the last 26 years and this is a first time I have had this.  I to am concerned I have been pretty agressive with the massage and it softens it a bit but eventually hardens again.  My last surgery was 7/24/07 and this started to happen after I saw my PS and my next appt. is in Nov.  I probably should call him and ask.  I will be watching your post for answers.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help but to say your not experiencing this alone.

Offline bhut2180

• Posting Member
I appreciate your response, I am surprised that more guys do not stay on after surgery and share their experience.  Seems like the website was an amazing help in deciding for surgery, i assumed that more guys would be active discussing the issues we find ourselves dealing with afterwards as well.  Certainly just as much need for support, guidance, and wisdom shared after surgery. 
I have found that if I am very aggressive with the massager I have, that it breaks up/softens up the tissue for a little while (its hard when I wake up the next morning), from what I have read it takes a couple months for it to subside, but when i read about others experiences with it, they do not sound as severe as what I am experiencing.  I read on Bermant's website that occassionally if you are younger (I am 29) that the scar tissue will be a permanant problem needing to be removed as well.  It seems at 3 weeks it is too soon to tell, but it certainly is a concern. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:32:45 AM by cleanup »

GynO_DuDe

I got a lump of scar tissue on my right handside ... it resides every morning (i sleep with my compression vest on) and then re-appears after an hour or so. Its not too visible but I can feel its their.

Offline tricat13

• Posting Member
I am also dealing with the same issues.  I am about 5 weeks post op and it is a little concerning, but I am confident that it will dissipate.  It seems like a pretty normal thing.  Good luck mate!

Offline NorCALSpeed

• Posting Member
  • Selling rocks for surgery bitches.
I think the scar tissue stays around a few months. I don't know what an under armor compression shirt is like, but could it be your choosing to no wear the vest is causing more inflammation? I only say this because I'm at two weeks, and just moving up and down walking without the vest (shower) makes them sting a bit. So if you're dancing at a wedding, it could be re-tearing what has already healed? I dunno, maybe I'm talking out my ass.

Offline sadgyneguy

• Gold Member
  • Gyne transformed me into a living dead.
i am experiencing it too. I am 44 days post op.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did...

Dr Benjamin Herbosa's Contact Info (Dr Benny)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024