Author Topic: How does scar tissue feel?  (Read 10608 times)

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Hi, how does scar tissue feel? Does it feel the same as gland?

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
====================================================================
My Before and After :
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21866.msg148419#msg148419
====================================================================

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
so how do i tell the difference between gland and scar tissue?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Scar tissue under the skin can feel very firm or soft.  There is no way one can just feel tissue and tell what it is -- even with a surgeon's hands.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot Dr Jacobs. Just to ask, how long after surgery does scar tissue usually develop?

Regards

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The body begins the healing process -- ie the formation of scar tissue -- within hours after injury/surgery.  The exact rate and extent of scar tissue formation depends on the nature and extent of the injury/surgery, whether there is infection present, and the patient's one inherent tendency to form scar tissue -- which varies from individual to individual.

Dr Jacobs

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Thanks again Dr Jacobs. How long does it usually take for scar tissue to disappear?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Scar tissue is the normal way the body heals -- it will always be there to some extent.

The body initially builds scar tissue and then over time, the rate of build is slowed and the body begins to remove some of it -- but this is extremely variable -- no way to predict in any individual case.

And finally, after all the healing is complete, there are still remnants of scar tissue present.  As a surgeon, when I re-enter a place where surgery or injury has occurred, I can always spot the scar tissue.

Dr Jacobs

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Thanks again Dr Jacobs. I had excision + lipo on the 3rd of december. I can feel lumps beneath my right nipple. I'm not sure if it's scar tissue or leftover gland.

Thanks and regards

Offline melvin32

• Posting Member
Thanks again Dr Jacobs. I had excision + lipo on the 3rd of december. I can feel lumps beneath my right nipple. I'm not sure if it's scar tissue or leftover gland.

Thanks and regards

It is most likely scar tissue. I too had surgery (lipo+excision) on dec 3rd and I have lumps under my right, and a even more under my left nipple. The scar tissue even extends an inch or 2 below nipple(this gives the effect of a crater but the swelling under(below) the nipple is the cause of the appearance). I had my follow-up and the 14th and Doc said I was healing just fine and to give that swelling about 4 months to heal completely.

BTW, I have no lumps under my nipples, but rather below my nipple. And the doc said he did leave a little gland behind(which is good). I had a total of 700cc's removed. Half fat, half gland. Hope this helps.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024