Author Topic: Afraid I might be getting gynecomastia. Help?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline gatrine

A little background info: I'm 18, don't workout often, not overweight so skinny fat I guess. A few months ago I noticed that my left nipple was slightly lower than my right by like a centimeter and that my left pec was slightly fatter than my right. I figured it was just because I'm right handed. It doesn't seem to have gotten any better or worse. I can't find a lump anywhere that would indicate gynecomastia but I still fear I may be getting it. I was hoping someone could tell me if it sounds like it or if it's normal for one pec to be fatter.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You may be describing one-sided gynecomastia, which is not unusual.

Why not post some photos for us?

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
No one is perfectly symmetrical.

Here is something you can do either with a mirror or a picture of yourself that is taken from straight ahead. Draw a line across the picture through the center of each eye, then across the top of each ear, the bottom of each ear and the corners of the mouth. If your face is symmetrical, the lines would be parallel, but in reality, there are probably not two lines that are even close.

Now mark the center of the brow, the center of the tip of the nose, The center of the lips and then the center of the chin. On a symmetrical face, this would be a straight line. In reality, It is not even close to being a straight line.

Put the heel of one foot against a block, then measure from the block to the tip of your toe. Repeat with the other foot. My left foot is longer than my right foot, but my right foot is wider.

The point of all this is to simply reassure you that being symmetrical is actually very uncommon. One breast will be larger than the other and it will be higher or lower as well, This is very normal.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Totally agree with Paa_Paw -- no one (except a mannequin) is perfectly symmetrical.  In fact, perfect symmetry on a human (if it exists) would be somewhat boring.  As I have spent decades in plastic surgery, and grown a bit wiser in the process, I have come to realize that it is the minor asymmetries of our bodies and faces that make us endearingly unique individuals.

You may be concentrating on your chest -- for whatever reason -- and noticing slight differences that were there all the time.  Why not check some early photos of yourself and see if the differences were there way back when.

Finally, if you are indeed developing one sided gyne, you will know in time -- it may continue to enlarge and then your diagnosis is made.  For the time being, though, why not just chill out?

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024