Author Topic: Massaging  (Read 2858 times)

Offline karl_82

• Posting Member
Just wondering how many weeks pre-op you have to wait before starting to massage the area?

Also is this only necessary if scar tissue is present?

I am 3 weeks 4 days post op and one side of my chest is still numb around a small area, is this normal?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi Karl 82,

The answer to all 3 of questions is this.  Ask your Plastic Surgeon.

However:

1.      I don’t think there is any hard and fast rule as to when to start to massage.  I would imagine you have to be cautious in not starting too soon though.

2.      As for massaging only if you have scar tissue?  Well I would have thought massaging (at the appropriate time) would have all round benefits and not just for the break up of scar tissue.  I would think it would improve circulation to the damaged areas, reduce the risk of any skin to muscle adhesion and generally loosen up any tight areas.

3.      I am over 4 weeks post op and I still have some numbness and several lumps and bumps.  I have read of patients who after a year, still have some lack of feeling in parts of their chest and especially around the nipples.

Remember that the healing process takes many months and during that time there will be periods of swelling when things seem to go backwards.  I saw the PS who operated on me today for my 1 month follow up.  He said that when he had the surgery himself many years ago (he was a sufferer too), that his chest still looked a “little screwed up” even after a year.  If you have any real concerns or questions the best person to ask is your PS.

Good luck.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
hi Karl i contacted Dr Baranski and it seems that as soon as you feel its not too painful.
I started at 3 weeks and have been doing it for 1 week with great notices of difference.
My guess is the scar tissue is on the side that you are handed?
I.e if your right handed then it will be your right side:)

the best bet to read up on this is to go to google and put in "scar tissue massaging" into the search box and have a bloody good read :)
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline karl_82

• Posting Member
Hi,

Thanx for the advice.

I'm not sure if i have scar tissue to be honest. I can't really feel anything, although i have't had a great feel.

I will keep an eye on it though.  :)

Offline karl_82

• Posting Member
Update.

Ok guys had a feel today :o

The left side is perfect, no hard/solid matter that i can feel beneath the skin.

The right side (you were right notfedup) i can feel somthing hard, it is also very small and its just by the incision on the nipple. I take it this will be scar tissue. This is also the side that is a little numb around the nipple and  a little painful when i press on it.

Is this the same as you notfedup?

also, how did you know about the right/left thing lol?

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
Right Karl
the reason i know about all this stuff is because ive spent hours and hours obsessivly reading up on chest surgery.
Also my wife being a nurse makes her search this kind of thing also.
if its only small then just give them a short amount of attention when soaped up in the bath.
Youll find it will break up and go away.
After just 1 week of mnassage i massaged small a lump that was quite large and its almost gone now :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024