Author Topic: Professor Byrne  (Read 4102 times)

Offline CJA

Hi guys, I've been lurking on here for a while now and not said much. I've had gyno since puberty and about ten years ago got it 'removed' by a general surgeon on the NHS. Although at first I was over the moon with the results I soon realised that it wasn't that great. The thing is, my gyno was pretty large and an incision was made under the breast instead of the nipple like I see most doctors doing now. The scars are not the problem for me, they don't bother me as much as the gyno that is left. I remember the surgeon at the time saying she would leave some of it in for shape. Being desperate at the time for these lumps to be taken out I wanted her to do anything to get it out. So now the problem is I still have gyno admittedly no where near as bad as it was. I am an avid gym goer and have a fairly developed chest which almost makes the gyno look worse. Last year I went to see a surgeon in Aberdeen and to be honest he wasn't helpful at all. He basically told me to live with it and that it looked fine but, said if I wanted he would operate but, he would probably open up the scars that were there from before. I didn't really get a good feeling about what he was telling me and didn't think he understood what the actual issue was either. 

So, again after much thought and research I've decided to go see Professor Byrne after some reviews on here and also his experience in this field. It's a free appointment which I suppose makes it better even if it is just to explain the difficulties with the previous scars. Hoping this can be sorted once and for all. I go to see him on the 1st of July. Quite quick appointment in fact they actually had one next week but I need to get stuff organised since I'm in Aberdeen. 

Does anybody else have scars under the breast from previous surgery and went back for the areola type surgery? 

Offline Dustykid

• Posting Member
I don't sorry. But i am going for surgery next saturday with Prof Byrne if you want updates on how i got on.

Offline CJA

I don't sorry. But i am going for surgery next saturday with Prof Byrne if you want updates on how i got on.

Yes, that would be great. What is he like? I've been reading he knows his stuff and is very thorough. Oh, and good luck! 

Offline Dustykid

• Posting Member
I wrote a big reply to this but it seems to have disappeared. 

I had my surgery on Saturday 25 June 2016. I checked in just after 7am and got taken up to my room which was simple and very clean. The nurse came in and introduced herself ran through some questions and took my blood pressure etc. Prof Byrne came in later and discussed the surgery with me and marked me up. He did say that i am more muscular on one side than the other which a sports therapist has said to me before and thus more would be taken away on one side.

The nurse came in later and asked me to change into a gown and gave me some pressure socks and slippers. You can keep your own underwear on FYI. I was taken down at around 11am into a room that i presume adjoins the theatre its chilled to prevent bugs growing but this is were i started to shake a little with nerves! A guy put a needle into my hand (not sure what it is called) so they could inject the aesthetic direct into my bloodstream and i was out pretty fast. I woke up in a recovery room pretty out of it and was taken up to my room by two nurses to recover.  I already had a compression vest on so you don't need to worry about that.

The hardest part of the experience for me was probably the anaesthetic i was green for hours after surgery and i was sick a good few times over the afternoon right up until 8pm and i was out of surgery at around 12:30, the actual operation must have only been an hour. 

Prof Byrne came in and discussed the surgery with me that afternoon and told me how much fat and gland he had taken out but i can't remember as whilst i seemed bright and alert my brain was still a few steps behind. One side was pretty straight forward however the larger side the gland was more dispersed with fat. 

I was in no pain other than feeling sick and out of it and i probably could of stayed the night if i am totally honest but i think it just depends on the individual. I told the nurse i was being picked up but i was getting a taxi to the train station and i was sick again on the way to the station. Fortunately i live in Liverpool so it wasn't far. I did have it in my head i would be in and out based on other peoples experiences so be prepared for that your body needs to get the anaesthetic out your system so it can take hours and leave you feeling terrible.

I was given strong ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine for pain but i haven't been in any pain at all post surgery and i have only taken ibuprofen to help with swelling. There is only some discomfort where the incisions for the liposuction were made under my arm but no worse than a cut or scratch in an annoying location!

In terms of results i looks so much better already, before i had quite a decent shaped muscular chest but then towards my nipples i had this 'coning' effect so tops and t-shirts would hang off them but now thats gone. My nipples looked a little weird when i first put the waterproof dressing on on sunday morning but it will take time to settle down. I have a follow up next tuesday so i don't want to see now until then.

I will try post pictures or anyone who wants to see message me.   

Offline CJA

Good stuff mate. Glad to hear it all went well (apart from the sickness) I've got my consultation tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on as my case is slightly different as I've had surgery before. Pictures would be good as I too have quite a muscular chest so to see your results would be great. 

Offline bilabonic

• Posting Member
I wrote a big reply to this but it seems to have disappeared.

I had my surgery on Saturday 25 June 2016. I checked in just after 7am and got taken up to my room which was simple and very clean. The nurse came in and introduced herself ran through some questions and took my blood pressure etc. Prof Byrne came in later and discussed the surgery with me and marked me up. He did say that i am more muscular on one side than the other which a sports therapist has said to me before and thus more would be taken away on one side.

The nurse came in later and asked me to change into a gown and gave me some pressure socks and slippers. You can keep your own underwear on FYI. I was taken down at around 11am into a room that i presume adjoins the theatre its chilled to prevent bugs growing but this is were i started to shake a little with nerves! A guy put a needle into my hand (not sure what it is called) so they could inject the aesthetic direct into my bloodstream and i was out pretty fast. I woke up in a recovery room pretty out of it and was taken up to my room by two nurses to recover.  I already had a compression vest on so you don't need to worry about that.

The hardest part of the experience for me was probably the anaesthetic i was green for hours after surgery and i was sick a good few times over the afternoon right up until 8pm and i was out of surgery at around 12:30, the actual operation must have only been an hour.

Prof Byrne came in and discussed the surgery with me that afternoon and told me how much fat and gland he had taken out but i can't remember as whilst i seemed bright and alert my brain was still a few steps behind. One side was pretty straight forward however the larger side the gland was more dispersed with fat.

I was in no pain other than feeling sick and out of it and i probably could of stayed the night if i am totally honest but i think it just depends on the individual. I told the nurse i was being picked up but i was getting a taxi to the train station and i was sick again on the way to the station. Fortunately i live in Liverpool so it wasn't far. I did have it in my head i would be in and out based on other peoples experiences so be prepared for that your body needs to get the anaesthetic out your system so it can take hours and leave you feeling terrible.

I was given strong ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine for pain but i haven't been in any pain at all post surgery and i have only taken ibuprofen to help with swelling. There is only some discomfort where the incisions for the liposuction were made under my arm but no worse than a cut or scratch in an annoying location!

In terms of results i looks so much better already, before i had quite a decent shaped muscular chest but then towards my nipples i had this 'coning' effect so tops and t-shirts would hang off them but now thats gone. My nipples looked a little weird when i first put the waterproof dressing on on sunday morning but it will take time to settle down. I have a follow up next tuesday so i don't want to see now until then.

I will try post pictures or anyone who wants to see message me.  

Hope all is good, could you post before/after pics ?

Also what was the total cost and how do you contact Professor Byrne ? Does he only operate from one location ??

Cheers

Offline C.M

I'm having my consultation next week with Professor Byrne... How is your healing process getting along DustyKid?
And Bilabonic, I think he only operates in the Manchester branch..

Offline Jab123

• Posting Member
Any news guys? 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024