Author Topic: Dr. Berman, or others..protein shakes?  (Read 10955 times)

Offline John316

I had my surgery almost 3 months ago, and I am not satisfied with my results, at least not yet. But my question was whether anyone had ever heard of protein shakes causing gyno (just straight protein shakes no other types of supplements or steroids). One doctor i visited with had mentioned protein shakes as a cause of gynecomastia, but i was kind of confused as to whether she may have meant other types of supplements, because I had never heard this from anyone else before. I had surgery with a different doctor and I asked him whether protein shakes would have any effect and he said no. I had taken protein shakes years before my surgery, and I have continued to take them post surgery. I may be reaching here just because I'm not satisfied with my surgery results but I thought it was worth asking the doctors on here.

Thank you

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
Hi,

Although I'm not a surgeon....I think I may be able to answer this question.

I'm pretty positive protein shakes have nothing to do with gyne....I drink them. :)
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If you were to go on a totally outrageous diet and consumed only vegetables that contained high levels of phytoestrogens, you may have a problem. Note I only say MAY.

But if you are trying to bulk up some muscle and supplement with high protein shakes made from soy or whatever, and your diet is otherwise varied, I seriously doubt if it would cause any problem.

There is actually a line of reasoning that says Phytoestrogens might tie up (or block) Estrogen receptors and even help prevent gynecomastia.

My personal belief is that phytoestrogens are essentially neutral in an otherwise varied diet.
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

I had my surgery almost 3 months ago, and I am not satisfied with my results, at least not yet. But my question was whether anyone had ever heard of protein shakes causing gyno (just straight protein shakes no other types of supplements or steroids). One doctor i visited with had mentioned protein shakes as a cause of gynecomastia, but i was kind of confused as to whether she may have meant other types of supplements, because I had never heard this from anyone else before. I had surgery with a different doctor and I asked him whether protein shakes would have any effect and he said no. I had taken protein shakes years before my surgery, and I have continued to take them post surgery. I may be reaching here just because I'm not satisfied with my surgery results but I thought it was worth asking the doctors on here.

Thank you

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Photographs can help others understand your contour concerns.

There are many Medications / Drugs that Can Cause Gynecomastia. Protein alone in moderation should not be a factor. The problem is in the lack of regulation of the nutritional bodybuilding market. Things are added often without adequate labeling or documentation. One major offender is with Testosterone or hormone boosters, precursors, and analogues. I have had patients show me all sorts of substances that had such additives that was causing tenderness and breast growth Gynecomastia Symptoms that started with taking that agent and ceased after stopping that product.

For my patients I recommend stabilizing problems / issues before considering surgery as surgery in itself does not stop breast growth. However, such growth issues normally are accompanied by symptoms.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:06:18 AM by web_admin »

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Dr. Cruise, I love that answer.

I think John needs to find something else to worry about.

Offline technics777

• Bronze Member
No way in hell would protein shakes give you gyno.
Theres one brand of protein only available in the US that has some sort of steroid in it, but even that I doubt would give you gyno

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Protein, by itself, will not lead to the development of gyne.  However, some protein shakes and supplements may have additives that could be problematic.

READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

No way in hell would protein shakes give you gyno.
Theres one brand of protein only available in the US that has some sort of steroid in it, but even that I doubt would give you gyno

Unfortunately I have seen patients who complained that the only item they were taking was a "protein supplement" when they experienced breast tenderness and gland growth. They related that after stopping that substance, the tenderness resolved and growth stopped. When they resumed it, the symptoms returned. Have you ever tried to read the label on some of these "nutritional" supplements? Obfuscation and lack of clarity are common on these labels. When you try chasing down some of the ingredients, those claiming to be testosterone boosters, precursors, or analogues may all be factors in breast growth.

As stated above, this is an unregulated market that takes a careful eye to avoid issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:01:51 AM by web_admin »

Offline mmamatt

Thank you

Actually they could dude, some American Proteins that have not been approved by the FDA contain synthetic Testosterone and can have types of steroids in them... just stick to pure whey protein, whether concentrate or isolate, with none of the bullshit additives

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024