Author Topic: Problem with scars  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Swenip

• Posting Member
Hi all

I had my surgery done 16 months ago and the doctor did an incision under each nipple to remove the gland and another two incisions below my chest (between the upper abs and below the chest) for lipo. I never had any worries about scars since from what i've read here most people don't get big scars and they fade pretty fast. But here I am, 16 months later with scars that are cleary noticible.

I tried to follow the dotcors orders so i didn't smoke before or after the time given by him but i gradually started smoking again, starting off with maybe a pack in 4 days and i've never smoked more than half a pack a day. The doctor also told me to wear scar-tape on the scars which i followed very well.

After a couple of months i noticed that the scars were still very visible so I tried to massage them, i've read on these forums that it can help breaking up the scar tissue. I couldn't tell if the massage helped or not so I did it in periods in search of some results. Today im still uncertain if it's good or bad for me.

Here's my first problem:

Anyway the reason i'm here is because it's almost summer and the scars are still visible, they are definitely better and some areas have changed alot in the last 8-9 months. Although there's still scar tissue left, they are still hard in some areas  :-\. So for the past 4 weeks i've cut back on smoking alot, i'm smoking about 1-2 a day and i've also stopped massaging the scars completely. The scars seem to get softer when i massage them but instead the areas around the scars get a darker color making them stand out more. And when i stop massaging the scars get hard again. I've never had any trouble with scars healing before and i'm not sure what to do now. Should i see a doctor who can give me some kind of shot to help the tissue break apart? Should i keep on massaging or let them be?

Here's my second problem:

Having my scars completely healed in about 4-6 weeks would be awesome but it's not very realistic. So i might have to tell my closest friends, i'm pretty sure they're gonna take it okay but i'd sure love to have some kind of excuse. Something that might work and give me more sympathy would be breast cancer. I'm not sure how they treat breast cancer in men but do they ever cut out gland because they are infected or might get infected with cancer? Cause then it would be like "Oh he had no choice, he had to get it done". Or some other excuse would be nice  :)

I'd really appreciate some help

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Post operative scars can be troublesome but there are treatments available.  The first step is to return to your surgeon and show them to him.  He can then make suggestions for treatment.  The only thing you must understand is that no surgeon can make a scar totally disappear and replace it with "virgin" skin.

If the scars are hard, thickened or raised above the surface of the surrounding skin, then a simple injection of Kenalog may soften and flatten them.  If the scars are flat and wide, then perhaps a minor operation (called a scar revision) can remove the scar and replace it with a fresh scar.  If there is excess pigmentation (a dark skin color), then a skin bleaching cream can help (prescribed by your surgeon).

Reddened scars are tough to deal with.  Contrary to what you might think, younger men tend to keep their red scars longer than older men.  Ultimately, all scars face to a lighter color.  Best treatment is time plus sunblock applied to the scars.  In rare circumstances, a laser may be considered to help remove the redness from a scar (consult your dermatologist).

Do not despair about the scars -- they can be improved.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Swenip

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advice!

The only thing is my doctor's about 600 miles away so i'm going to have to talk to the local hospital if anyone can take a look at the scars there.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Do you have any pics posted of the scars in question?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Swenip

• Posting Member
No sorry not right now, i'm gonna try and post some later

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Cool...  I haven't seen any pics of reoccurring G.

GB...

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Well, you may not want to hear this, but the first thing you should try is to STOP SMOKING.  I'm not one of those fanatical anti-tobacco folks, and frankly, once you completely heal up if you want to take up smoking again, I have no problem with that.  In fact, when I drink, I will typically bum a few smokes from people.  But the truth is, I have little sympathy for people without the mental discipline to do what is necessary to achieve their goals.

(1) You want to heal up.

(2) You know that smoking will interfere with your healing.

(3) You should stop smoking until you are completely healed up.

There is no way around it.  MAN UP AND DO WANT YOU NEED TO DO.  So many people on this board are simply unable to MAN UP and do what needs to be done.  It's pretty ridiculous.  STOP FEEDING YOUR FACE.  GO TO THE GYM REGULARLY.  STOP OBSESSING OVER YOU BODY.  GET A F'ING JOB AND SAVE MONEY.  I just don't get it, this country is going to f'ing hell.  Just do what you gots to do and everything will typically work out.  geez.

Investigate some scar creams, like Vitamin E and Madera, there are lots of different options out there.

Finally, FINALLY, if you feel the need to offer an explanation to your CLOSE friends, please please just tell them the truth or tell them nothing at all.  How can you claim to say that they are your CLOSE friends if you have to lie to them and tell them that you have breast cancer?  How pathetic is that?  If you want to lie to strangers, fine, I have no problem with that, but how you can you say something at ridiculous as that to your supposedly CLOSE friends.  Please do us all a favor and just don't say anything at all.  Have some integrity will you?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024