Author Topic: No hard lump behind nipple - still gynecomastia?  (Read 12174 times)

Offline alanwake89

• Posting Member
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:59:09 AM by alanwake89 »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Any distinction between true and pseudo Gynecomastia is purely academic and often wrong.

The simple fact is that there is both fatty and glandular tissue present in most cases and no one will know the amount of each until the surgery is over.

I see the references to hard lumps or buttons behind the nipples all the time. The truth is that the glandular tissue can be soft even though it is generally believed to be firm. Conversely, the fatty deposits are usually thought to be soft but they can be quite firm. It is often impossible to figure out any difference.

Even if it is mostly fatty tissue, the breast would seem to be one of the first places where fat accumulates and the last for it to diminish even with weight loss to an unhealthy degree.

If you are overweight, loss is advised but only for health reasons as it will not necessarily change the breasts very much. Before someone corrects me, I will concede that weight loss has been effective for a small number of men.

I live with mine, and many men do likewise. I would not go so far as to say I like them, but some men actually do express that.

If they trouble you, the only way to get rid of them is by having surgery to reduce their size.
Grandpa Dan

Offline jojo82

• Silver Member
Did you lose a lot of weight? Have you ever been overweight/obese?

I can almost guarantee you that you have gland there. It's difficult to tell without full body shots, but you don't look obese, so it's unlikely that your contour is going to change with more exercise. Plus you're reaching a point now where excess skin may become an issue if it isn't already (can't tell what your skin elasticity is without touching).

You will need surgery to correct your gynecomastia.

DrBermant

Hey guys,

Whilst researching gynecomastia, I constantly come across the 'hard lumps behind nipples' diagnosis of gynecomastia, but I don't think I have those lumps. There's nothing really hard behind my nipples, as when I press down on them there's nothing really hard there - but I still quite visible breasts and I can feel tissue all around the nipple and I still get puffy nipples.

Do I need an operation to get rid of these or is it pseudo-gyne where a lot of hard work in the gym will get rid of them? Please, I need some answers!

Gynecomastia is breasts on the male body. Just as a female breast, it will consist of gland, fat and skin. All mammals both male and female will have a gland element, it goes as part of being a mammal. Touching or clinical exam just does not define fat from gland. Although gland tends to be firm and fat soft, fat can be firm and gland soft. So, yes, you have gynecomastia.

Options really depend on the problem which has not been defined. I have seen some amazing changes when patients come to me with unstable gynecomastia and glands swollen from an untreated medical condition, that patient then evaluated, stabilized, and the swelling resolved. Just how much depends on what is going on. This is the same tissue and process a woman has and they also can experience some major breast size changes with pregnancy.

Paw_Paw is right on target, but then he is reinforcing campaigns of patient education I took on years ago in trying to help others understand the poor nature of the term pseudogynecomastia.

Before someone corrects me, I will concede that weight loss has been effective for a small number of men.
Misses the main point of the weight loss. The main issue is that it is not healthy to wear extra weight. Getting excess fat off of the body, my patients tell me, has made them feel better, more alive, more energy, and different people. It is effective for helping these individuals, not "for a small number of men," but for the vast majority of those who try to improve themselves. He is right on that only a small number of men can see a complete resolution of their problem with weight loss alone. That goes to the fact that weight loss does not help with gland tissues, you cannot target where the fat comes from, and the losing weight compromise is the loose skin left behind. Not only does losing weight not manage loose skin, it can make it worse!  But back on point, I have seen many men who came to me for contour problems from a global fat component who I discussed weight loss before surgery is better than weight loss after. Many have come back to me changed individuals using the coarse tool of losing weight first and then having me use my surgical sculpture for refinement.

Your images and details provided are not sufficient to determine if you would have been given a weight loss discussion during a consultation. Just how much weight loss and exercise will help will depend on your body fat percentage, weight, height, and other factors not given.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline maybeachance

• Posting Member
This situation is like I uploaded my photos and looking at them right now...These are exactly like my photos...Actually, I was thinking to open a post about this "hard lump behind nipple" thing...Not only these photos are like mines  but also I have not any hard lump under nipple...It was soft all the time ....

I have this since 11 and during different periods of my life, my weight was between 112 kg and 81 kg ....I can say that nothing changed about my chest look even if I was 112  or 81 ...I made sports  and vs..... nothing  changed ...We are not same person of course but I mentioned about photos and the other thing are nearly same with mine....So at least I can say that , it is impossible for me  to change something with loosing weight or doing any sports and I will go a consultation soon for a surgery ....But again,this is just my experiences.....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024