Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2061 times)

Offline TimmyJ

Hi
Weell, I'm new here, and really just wanted to gather some information on gynecomastia and measures to take.

I'm 15 which makes all of this much more difficult, as a child I was rather overweight but managed to lose a lot of that, yay me! Now then, after losing said weight I noticed that I still had breasts which I had previously attributed to being overweight so I was pretty bummed about this fact but had ignored it for quite some time until seeing the documentary about gynecomastia.

I know that it's not being overweight that's the current reason for this because there are much bigger people than me with flat chests *sigh* In the summer I always have to come up with some crappy excuse to avoid going swimming with my friends, I can't sleep topless, I can't get sexually involved with someone, etc. it's just a massive irritation and to lose the weight that I did just to get lumbered with breasts was a blow to my confidence and pretty much just a kick in the nuts while I'm already down :-/

Anyway I would like some suggestions and information about surgery and the like, preferably something inexpensive. If you think that surgery isn't the way to go then I'm open for advice. Thanks in advance for any replies :)
Thankyou for flying Church of England. Cake or death? - Eddie Izzard - Dress to Kill

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Welcome.

First things first, if you can talk to your mum or dad about it then it will make things easier. Then get an appointment with your GP. He/she may suggest you go to get your hormone levels checked; although hormonal imbalance is not that common, too much oestrogen or too little testosterone can cause gyne. Having surgery without first addrssing any imbalance would be like p*ssing in the wind - the gyne could come back. Bearing in mind your age, the GP may suggest you leave things for a few years. It seems to be believed that things can settle down after puberty, and gyne can go away naturally by your late teens and early twenties. However, you may still be given the option of surgery.

If so, then you are faced with the question of whether to go ahead with it. If the gyne is causing enough sh*t in your life then you may feel it is best to get it sorted. That leaves two options; NHS or private. I'm 'lucky' enough to have experienced gyne-correction surgery by NHS and private surgeons, so I'll let you know what I think of each option.

I will just add that these are only MY experiences - some people get good results, some not so good, regardless of whether the surgery is performed by the NHS or a private surgeon.

I had surgery on the NHS about two years ago. It was quite unpleasant - sitting around in waiting rooms full of women waiting for breast cancer scans etc. I had a short consultation with the surgeon, and to be honest he seemed a little hesitant to operate. He kept stressing that he didn't want to "take too much out", and that I could always change my mind. Anyway, being naive (or mabe just not as knowledgable about gyne as these days) I went ahead with the op. The technique was bilateral excision; basically he cut along the bottom of each nipple and removed the 'gristle' (or some of it at least). This left me with a scar running along the edge of each nipple. To be fair to the man, he did do a decent job of minimising scarring, but I can't say that he removed enough tissue to make a difference. I still had the same shape chest two years on, minus a tiny bit of gristle.

So with little or no difference made to my quality of life I decided to get things sorted for good. Had I known then what I know now I would never have gone NHS. I found this website, researched the different approaches of dealing with gyne, and ultimately I am now gyne free, with a nice flat chest.

I started hearing alot about a Birmingham based surgeon called Mr Levick, and saw also that alot of people were going to him - 99% of which were getting very good results. I'm sure I don't have to explain the rest.

Anyway, it's your decision whether to have surgery, and also your decision which surgeon to use. Private ops are inevitably expensive, but (in my opinion) there does seem to be a distinct correlation between cost and good results! Speaking to your mum or dad about the cost of a private op will be easier than you think, once you get over the first hurdle of talking to them about gyne in general.

Best of luck.

Another happy Levick Lad.

Offline TimmyJ

Thanks for the advice dude :) I'm gonna have a talk with my parents and see a GP at some point ::), but I was wondering though, what's the general sort of price for an operation(if you're okay answering)?

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
About 3500 quid, give or take.

Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024