Author Topic: Anyone work in an office post surgery?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline MisterPeepers

• Posting Member
I asked this but i think on the wrong forum.

My only concern is, if you are in an office environment, would a stage 1 or 2 compression vest be noticeable? This is under your dress shirt/tie so how would they notice? You do not walk any different do you? I am referring to surgery with no drains. For me I am in good shape already and just puffy nips so it wouldnt be a big noticeable difference when I have clothes on. I can take a couple of days vacation so i have the surgery date excuse all set up. The stage 2 vest looks just a wife beater shirt so that is no big deal, but it looks like the stage 1 is a little thicker...Atleast looking at bermants website so that is my concern.

Dont want to even make any excuses or lies..just want to keep it a secret while i have to wear a vest.

Can this be done???

Offline bravo

• Posting Member
I work in an office, i took one week off work before going back. I only had the wear the vest for a further week whilst in work, it did make me look slightly bulkier, so i tended to keep my suit jacket on for longer than normal. I was the same as you in terms of not wanting anyone to know. What i have found difficult is making excuses as to why i can't play in the works football each week

Offline Henry

• Posting Member
I would say a week off work is about right. I found the whole area way too painful to touch during the first 7 days, so it's not so much whether it's noticeable, as wanting to keep people or anything (including you) from touching your chest. And I wouldn't consider ANY contact sports for at least a month....maybe longer. I'm off to the gym today at 16 days post op, for some light LOWER body exercise (cycles etc). No upper body for at least 3 weeks and I think that's optimistic.

Offline damianz

• Posting Member
I'm 16 days post surgery and still wearing the "stage 1" vest.  Mine is definitely thicker than a stage 2 and it has a zip-up front.  Wearing a dress shirt and a tie would definitely help hiding it, actually as the tie would obscure the zipper, but my office is pretty much t-shirt wearers.  It's somewhat noticeable under a t-shirt, but only at the front of my collar where the zipper is and in the back where the velcro straps fasten (just under my shoulders).  I wear an open sweatshirt or thicker, open dress-shirt over my t-shirts to hide the straps.

I also purchased an extra stage 1 vest that uses hook enclosures, rather than buttons.  That one is pretty much impossible to pick out from the front, and just slightly from the back.

I took three days off work after my surgery, but have been working ever since and no one has said anything.  I've been prepared to just say that I hurt my back and that my doctor is having me wear a brace or back supporter under my clothes for a little while, but again, no one has mentioned anything.  I think it's pretty hard to notice unless you are specifically looking for the garment.  You definitely will not walk differently with it on, as long as it fits you well.  It's snug, but doesn't impede movement.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You'll figure out ways to keep it camouflaged and it's all worth the extra effort to make sure that your recovery is the best it can be.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024