Author Topic: How long does swelling last?  (Read 11581 times)

Offline soonplz

• Posting Member
I had surgery by ultrasonic liposuction of both fat and gland (that was on the soft side) a week ago today. How long will it take for swelling to subside enough that I can see how it's going to look permanantly?

And now that Thanksgiving break is over, I've had to do a little stuff involving my arms (carrying stuff from my car up the stairs back into my dorm room in small chunks making tons of trips, hoisting myself onto a bunkbed while sort of climbing up the ladder part with my feet). I'm really worried... is this going to affect my results? If so, how?

Thanks bunches!

DrBermant

I had surgery by ultrasonic liposuction of both fat and gland (that was on the soft side) a week ago today. How long will it take for swelling to subside enough that I can see how it's going to look permanantly?

And now that Thanksgiving break is over, I've had to do a little stuff involving my arms (carrying stuff from my car up the stairs back into my dorm room in small chunks making tons of trips, hoisting myself onto a bunkbed while sort of climbing up the ladder part with my feet). I'm really worried... is this going to affect my results? If so, how?

Thanks bunches!

My patients tend to have minimal swelling and can see results the day after surgery as shown in the many examples on my website.  It is a great deal of fun watching the expressions on my patients' face looking at themselves in a mirror the day after surgery and comparing their before images to their new contours.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, how you heal, after surgery care, skill of the surgeon and many other factors.  I do not like the ultrasonic and other cell destructive techniques because cells are broken and fat released into the surgical site.  Some of this material is suctioned out, but some remains behind resulting that the body needs to clean up.  This can result in longer swelling and healing. 

Put up a Standard Pictures After Gynecomastia Surgery so others can understand your concerns.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Swelling after surgery is extremely variable -- it depends on many factors, such as the technique used for surgery, how much surgery was done, and the general health of the patient.  Usually it takes a few days to occur, so a view of your chest on the day after surgery may give you a preview of "things to come" but it is not a guarantee that you will not swell.

After surgery, a very snug compression garment can help immensely -- but it must be worn virtually continuously.  Patient compliance is also important.  Some men wear their garment too loosely or not continuously.  Some men return too early to the gym or are just too active soon after their procedure.

This is real surgery and appropriate recuperation is necessary.  If you over do it too soon after your procedure, the swelling may last longer.

Finally, be patient -- since swelling is variable in its extent, the resolution of the swelling is also variable.  It may take weeks or even months for everything to settle down.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024