Author Topic: What Do I Do?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Neil_27

I have had gynecomatia in my right breast since about the age of 18 years (now 27 years of age). The growth was steady from the age of 18 to 24 years but it has doubled in size since then. Wearing a single t-shirt it isn't 'that' noticable. I went to a plastic surgeon who said he will peform lyposuction on it...then he dropped a bomb shell on me...it will be done under general anaesthetic! I told him that I have a phobia of general anaesthetic in which he replied; "I don't blame you, you don't have to have it done (the operation).". Everybody has a fear of something and mine is that. I don't know what to do, I don't think I can go through with it. The biggest problem I have in 'not' getting it done is; breast cancer or the fact it could grow bigger (like a woman's breast). I have had a biopsy on it which said it was glandular tissue, a scan which showed no lumps and a blood test which came back fine (hormones were normal). What do I do as I don't think I can overcome my phobia?

Offline ih8gynec

• Posting Member
Two things:

a) If it's glandular liposuction alone is not going to fix it. You have to have excision of the gland. Make sure your surgeon has done this before.

b) I don't think this is an operation that can be done under local. The area is way too big to numb adequetely and plus you'd probably start freaking when they start ramming that lipo tube in your chest. I don't see any other option than to move past your fear of general anethesia.

Offline Spleen

There's a difference between general anesthesia and general sedation.  Sedation is more commonplace and the anesthesiologist uses a cocktail of drugs to knock you out, but it doesn't totally shut down your CNS (central nervous system).  General anesthesia requires intubation because the drugs are powerful enought to stop all reflexive and autonomic behavior, including peristaltis (muscle contractions in the intestines and elsewhere) and breathing.  For gynecomastia surgery this is overkill.  

Make sure your doc was talking about GA and not sedation first.  If he's stuck on GA then you can look for another doc.  If it's sedation and you're still anxious about it, it's a bridge you'll have to cross if you want the surgery.  That's your call.  

BTW, when I went in I wasn't nervous at all until I was finally in the waiting room outside the operating room.  The anesthesiologist came in, asked a bunch of questions, started an IV and gave me a shot of something reeel niiiice.  No worries after that.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024