Author Topic: Compression vest - How long?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline There_Is_Hope

• Bronze Member
I understand that every doctor is different, but why is it that some doctors DONT make you wear a compression vest, others make you wear it for a week, 2 weeks, 1 month?

My doctor's printout for all his gyne patients says to wear the vest for a month but honestly I don't think I can do it. This is the most god-damn annoying thing I've ever had to wear in my life. I know it's stupid not to follow the doctors orders, but seeing as how some doctors dont even make their patients wear a vest, am I really that out of line? Thanks!

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Great question.  I understand and agree with your concern but I'm telling you, it's best to do what the dr. says, even if it's a pain in the ass.

My doc said 30 days for me.

Other than the obvious answer (every case of gyne is different) I don't know why their recommendations for compression vary so greatly.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
Mine said seven days and that's what I did.  So far everything is looking ok.  He's been a PS almost 30 years and said that he's never seen a benefit from wearing it longer than a week.

He explained to me that liposuction was developed by the French and brought over here to the US.  Many women in the US were reluctant to wear the compression for the suggested 6-month period, and so it was brought down to 3 months.  The suggested length of time continued to shorten until he eventually noticed that there was no difference between wearing the vest for a week or for 3 to 6 months.  

He told me that the skin only takes about a week for it to adhere to the new tissue and that wearing it any longer wouldn't make much difference.  Many choose to wear it longer for the added feeling of support and security.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 08:36:01 PM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline ih8gynec

• Posting Member
I've worn mine for about 8 months, yes 8 months. The compression helps deal with the pain from the skin bouncing around when you walk or when your body is jolted. It also helps keep scarring down. There are many other added benefits besides just adherence.

Offline rcbrown23

There are many other added benefits besides just adherence.

Agreed.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024