Author Topic: Question for those who have had surgery (concerning compression garment)  (Read 6914 times)

Offline daewoo123

• Posting Member

I'm about a week post-op and whenever I shower and I have to take off my compression garment, I feel fragile and there's a weird feeling, I can't wait to put the compression garment back on.  I guess my question is, even after 4 weeks, does it just wear off after you stop wearing the vest, or does it wear off withing the first 4 weeks when you're still wearing it? Kind of a weird question but I'm really curious.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I think as long as you wear the vest, you're going to feel that insecurity when you take it off.  Once you stop wearing it, that will subside.

Many guys transition to a tight, Spandex-type shirt after they ditch the vest.  That's an option for you.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

DrBermant

I'm about a week post-op and whenever I shower and I have to take off my compression garment, I feel fragile and there's a weird feeling, I can't wait to put the compression garment back on.  I guess my question is, even after 4 weeks, does it just wear off after you stop wearing the vest, or does it wear off withing the first 4 weeks when you're still wearing it? Kind of a weird question but I'm really curious.

There are 2 phases for wearing compression after surgery. Phase 1 is for protection.

I advise my patients that "comfort is Nature's way of telling you what you can and cannot do." At one week the damaged tissues that need support either hurt or have elements of discomfort, that when listened to, can minimize damage to early healing structures. After Surgery Compression Garments for Gynecomastia provide pressure and stabilization. Like a splint, they provide safety and protection. As tissues heal, being out of the garment without its stability feels better. Yet push the tissues too soon, like being out of the garment for much longer or during activity, and that sensation of needing the garment may return. I use a Stage 1 garment at this phase, since they are easier to get on and take off.

I ask my patients to not change to a different uncalibrated form of compression. There are many less expensive over the counter gym shirts that I have found to not be able to protect as well nor provide as much pressure.

Stage 2 compression is for the scars.

Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure. Learning to have pressure on the healing tissues can really improve a scar. Once the scars are soft, such pressure has little value. My patients use a Stage Two Compression Shirt as a component of their scar care.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
Its been 9 days after surgery for me and i plan to Wear the compression vest 24/7 until May 31.  And then i will wear it at night before going to bed for another 3 months.

This is the way i see the whole thing.. I waited all my life to get the surgery done and the least i can do is to be patient for a great result and wear the heck  out of the damn vest till it pop! lol..  I hope wearing it for that long wont hurt anything??

Offline F-NIch

• Posting Member
I'm a week away from being 2 months post op and I LOVE my vest.  I got a stage two vest from Veronique and it's like a warm hug.  I never want to take it off even though I'm past my 6 weeks.  It looks like a wife beater (I hate that term) and not only that makes my stomach look thinner while it's at it.  I figured it couldn't hurt to keep wearing it and I'll be sad when it's gone.  It's almost become a part of me and I feel weird when it's not there.

DrBermant

I'm a week away from being 2 months post op and I LOVE my vest.  I got a stage two vest from Veronique and it's like a warm hug.  I never want to take it off even though I'm past my 6 weeks.  It looks like a wife beater (I hate that term) and not only that makes my stomach look thinner while it's at it.  I figured it couldn't hurt to keep wearing it and I'll be sad when it's gone.  It's almost become a part of me and I feel weird when it's not there.

Some of our patients just like the feel of their Second Stage Compression Vest and wear it either before surgery to stabilize a problem or after beyond the scar evolution phase just because it feels good. Some purchase several so that they can work out, work up a sweat, shower, and have a fresh garment to put on that does not have the smell of the work out. Some just like picking different color for the clothing they wear (black vs. white).

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024