Author Topic: I was told NOT to massage my scars  (Read 2868 times)

Offline azndan

• Posting Member
I'm a little over 5 months since my revision to remove glands. I followed up with my doctor the other day and told him I've been massaging the scars and when should the tissue start to fade. He said NOT to massage cause it can prolong the puffiness and healing.
He is a well known doctor too. I'm happy with the results except for the scar tissue that's puffing my nips out. Every other doctor says to massage, so now I'm a little confused on what to do. Everywhere else I look says to massage or have kenalog injections. He also doesn't recommend kenalog cause it's possible to lose pigmentation in the area.
I just don't know what to do now.
Anything?

DrBermant

I'm a little over 5 months since my revision to remove glands. I followed up with my doctor the other day and told him I've been massaging the scars and when should the tissue start to fade. He said NOT to massage cause it can prolong the puffiness and healing.
He is a well known doctor too. I'm happy with the results except for the scar tissue that's puffing my nips out. Every other doctor says to massage, so now I'm a little confused on what to do. Everywhere else I look says to massage or have kenalog injections. He also doesn't recommend kenalog cause it's possible to lose pigmentation in the area.
I just don't know what to do now.
Anything?

After Surgery Scar Care and After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garments are both key elements in my methodology for the results I get. It is extremely rare that my patients need Kenalog injections for their scars. It has been many years since I have needed such medication for my results.

Each surgeon has his / her own techniques to achieve their results.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline azndan

• Posting Member
I don't want to go agaisnt my surgeons instructions.
I want to listen to him BUT at the same time he's the 1 surgeon out of 10 that said NO to massage and kenalog.
And out of all his procedures he specializes in gyne surgery.
Has anybody or any doctors here had any cases of kenalog or massage actually going wrong?

DrBermant

I don't want to go agaisnt my surgeons instructions.
I want to listen to him BUT at the same time he's the 1 surgeon out of 10 that said NO to massage and kenalog.
And out of all his procedures he specializes in gyne surgery.
Has anybody or any doctors here had any cases of kenalog or massage actually going wrong?

Picking a surgeon should include following their plan for before, during, and after surgery.

Yes, I have seen patients from other surgeons cause terrible swelling and injury to tissues when massaging too early or on tissues not able to support such manipulation. I have also seen nasty divots and depigmentation deformity from other doctors' use of Kenalog injections. I just saw another such bad defect in the office Friday. The loss of pigment showed much worse than the residual gynecomastia deformity missed by the first surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024