Author Topic: blod clot surgery  (Read 2673 times)

Offline goku

gi everyone, I posted that one side was extremely swollon after surgery, started swelling 1 week after the op when I had returned to the u.k from poland.

my GP has seen it twice, he aspirated blood out the first time but the second visit no blood could be aspirated even though there is clearly alot of fluidy substance in there.
He said its very likely that it is an extremely large collection of clotted blood and has referred me to a nhs surgeon to discuss surgery to rremove it.

has anyone had experience of surgically removing blood clots?
i physically cannot aspirate any more blood out from that side despite aspirating over 100cc's after week 1. its now almost week 3 and the blood isnt coming out.
the area is extremely red and there is alot of thick fluid in there.

please let me know. thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are describing a hematoma, and, like an iceberg, they are usually much larger (in volume) than they appear from the outside.

initially, one may be able to aspirate the blood when it is fresh.  But once it clots, one is faced with two options.  Either give it time (1-2 weeks) for the clot to liquify (and then aspirate) or re-open the wound surgically and physically clean out the wound of all clotted blood.

It is my impression that the healing is much better if the wound is surgically re-opened and cleansed.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Poland2012

• Silver Member
Are you certain that it was blood and not lymph? I remember that when I aspirated it was dark red, and could have been mistaken for blood. I remember that when I was a week out it felt soggy even after aspiration. Have you tried calling the surgeon?

Offline goku

thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Poland2012, im honestly not sure. the substance was very dark red almost black and very thick. the GP thought it was blood but i dont think he himself was certain.
My surgeon is in poland, i've sent her an email and she has asked for pics which I will send today.

What is difference between a lymph and a blood clot/hematoma?

Thanks again

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If the fluid is very dark red (almost black) and thick, it is definitely blood.

Dr Jacobs

Offline goku

If the fluid is very dark red (almost black) and thick, it is definitely blood.

Dr Jacobs

Thanks Dr Jacobs. Is the procedure to surgically remove a hematoma/blood clot a complex one? I have limited options as my gyno surgeon is in poland and I will have to go with a U.K hospital surgeon.
Is it easier to re-open the gyno incision as the wound is still fresh.
Im concerned the U.K hospital surgeon may not be as skilled as my gyno surgeon from poland and leave a worse scar. Im hoping as the incision wound is relatively new they would be able to simply follow that as a guideline.

Appreciate your time.

Offline Poland2012

• Silver Member
thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Poland2012, im honestly not sure. the substance was very dark red almost black and very thick. the GP thought it was blood but i dont think he himself was certain.
My surgeon is in poland, i've sent her an email and she has asked for pics which I will send today.

What is difference between a lymph and a blood clot/hematoma?

Thanks again

Lymph is the fluid within the lymphatic system. Mine was heavily tinted with blood, very dark, and almost syrupy.

I would take the advice of the doctors here, but would also seek Katarzyna's view as well. She said that it would take 6 weeks for blood vessels to regrow for the fluid to fully subside. She gave me a card and told me I could call at any time as I'm still her patient in the UK. If you want, I'll see if I can find the number and pm you.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024