Author Topic: Gynecomastia surgery scar tissue, kenalog injections experiences??  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Carlos9102

Hi everyone!
Did someone have scar tissue after the gynecomastia surgery?? What did you do to resolve it?
I´s always very helpful to listen to other experiences in similar situations!
7 months ago I got a gynecomastia surgery (gland removal, liposuction and areola reduction). The first 3 weeks my chest was completely flat but, right after I took the compression vest off in the week 4, the nipples went puffy back again overnight. Both the doctor and I were pretty sure that it was scar tissue and not residual gland. So he scheduled my for Triamcinolone (Trigon Depot) injections. So far I got 1 injection in my left nipple and 5 injections in my right side, being the last one of 0.6 cc amount.
To be honest, I think it has improved but VERY  little. I don't know if it all in my head or its been a real change. I´m very desperate because it´s been 7 months and, even after the shots, it´s still there!
Can scar tissue resolve on its own over time? If so, how long does it take? 
According to my research, kenalog injections should make a bigger impact than they made in my case? Is that normal? Should I get more injections? What are the side effects?
I wanna finish with this nightmare once for all but I do not want a revision surgery. What Can I do? What are my options?
Thank you so much for your help guys!!

Offline Fades1

• Posting Member
Hey I'm sorry to hear about this. Did your surgeon mention anything about massaging the area on a daily basis? 

Also you should take pictures for your own records so that you can compare it in the future to see if there's a difference in the future.

Hopefully someone else here can give more info on reducing scar tissue via injections.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No one but your surgeon knows for sure how much or how little breast tissue was removed under the areola.  Scar tissue often develops slowly, starting around 4 weeks or so and continuing beyond 12 weeks.  It does not grow overnight, as you claimed in your post.

Kenalog treatments only work on scar tissue, not retained gland tissue.  Further, kenalog has to be injected in the right places with the right dose administered.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Fades1

• Posting Member
No one but your surgeon knows for sure how much or how little breast tissue was removed under the areola.  Scar tissue often develops slowly, starting around 4 weeks or so and continuing beyond 12 weeks.  It does not grow overnight, as you claimed in your post.

That's interesting, thanks for the info Dr.Jacobs. Wouldn't it sound just as unlikely to think that breast tissue showed up overnight or is that something that can happen? 

Is it possible that OP experienced swelling overnight once removing the vest then this slowly transformed into scar tissue as he's having this issue 7 months post op?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No, breast tissue does not re-grow overnight.  The most probable reason for the abrupt change is swelling.
Dr Jacobs

Offline Fades1

• Posting Member
No, breast tissue does not re-grow overnight.  The most probable reason for the abrupt change is swelling.
Dr Jacobs

Thanks, so then the next question is if this persists after 7 months, like in OP's case, is this likely still swelling or scar tissue developed from swelling?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In most cases, swelling is down by 7 months.  Your problem may be scar tissue.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024