Author Topic: 1 1/2 years post surgery.  (Read 4985 times)

Offline dogandduck1

I had surgery about 18 months ago and since gyne has gone from having a firm grip on my life and the decisions I make to something that is ultimately still there but has less of an impact. Before surgery I would never really take of a hoodie no matter how hot it was, whereas now I feel moderately comfortable in a shirt but as long as I have a vest underneath, so in my view a success.

I think the gyne is still there and I spend a lot of time in the mirror trying to gauge on how bad it is and whether I can take my shirt off in public. It's slowly creeping back into my life and now that I'm close to being twenty I don't want gyne to continue causing problems, I'm scared of holidays and have turned down a few holiday offers and also reject offers to go swimming and offers to go to the beach when I'd really like to go. This all worries me because I could be doing more with my life. I'm also scared of effectively wasting my 20s and not doing anything special when all my friends go traveling and get into serious relationships etc.

I've also never had a relationship (some of the blame goes to gyne) and I'm thinking that I wouldn't mind that now, although I fear getting into a relationship with gyne.

Luckily I've managed to build up a decent circle of friends at home, despite being fairly poor socially and also a few friends at uni. So I don't feel that gyne has ruined me, but just made things uncomfortable and most times I wake I get negative feelings about gyne.

But now is the time to truly put a stop to it, before I do start wasting opportunities. I'm thinking of going in for second surgery but am yet to bring this up with my parents. Who are the only people I've told about it. I was just thinking of asking a few questions about it:

• Have you ever had second surgery? If so was it with the same surgeon or a different one?
  • Is having a second surgery common?

• Any ideas and chances of success?

• Also, is there any way of getting some fat off, eating healthily and exercising? I do this a lot but could give it a real go

• I've started benching in the gym, will this have any implications and are there any chest exercises to reduce gyne like incline or wide grip bench press?

DrBermant

I had surgery about 18 months ago and since gyne has gone from having a firm grip on my life and the decisions I make to something that is ultimately still there but has less of an impact. Before surgery I would never really take of a hoodie no matter how hot it was, whereas now I feel moderately comfortable in a shirt but as long as I have a vest underneath, so in my view a success.

I think the gyne is still there and I spend a lot of time in the mirror trying to gauge on how bad it is and whether I can take my shirt off in public. It's slowly creeping back into my life and now that I'm close to being twenty I don't want gyne to continue causing problems, I'm scared of holidays and have turned down a few holiday offers and also reject offers to go swimming and offers to go to the beach when I'd really like to go. This all worries me because I could be doing more with my life. I'm also scared of effectively wasting my 20s and not doing anything special when all my friends go traveling and get into serious relationships etc.

I've also never had a relationship (some of the blame goes to gyne) and I'm thinking that I wouldn't mind that now, although I fear getting into a relationship with gyne.

Luckily I've managed to build up a decent circle of friends at home, despite being fairly poor socially and also a few friends at uni. So I don't feel that gyne has ruined me, but just made things uncomfortable and most times I wake I get negative feelings about gyne.

But now is the time to truly put a stop to it, before I do start wasting opportunities. I'm thinking of going in for second surgery but am yet to bring this up with my parents. Who are the only people I've told about it. I was just thinking of asking a few questions about it:

• Have you ever had second surgery? If so was it with the same surgeon or a different one?
  • Is having a second surgery common?

• Any ideas and chances of success?

• Also, is there any way of getting some fat off, eating healthily and exercising? I do this a lot but could give it a real go

• I've started benching in the gym, will this have any implications and are there any chest exercises to reduce gyne like incline or wide grip bench press?

I perform a great deal of Revision Gynecomastia, but this is normally on patients who are unhappy with other doctor's operations. It is rare I need to revise one of my own patients. I know of very few patients patients who have had revision surgery after my chest sculpture. There are limitations as to what revision surgery has to offer.

If there is an underlying problem causing the gynecomastia or weight is an issue, addressing the underlying problem first is typically best. I just saw another patient who had continued breast growth and recurrence. I had recommended addressing the problem first, he went and had surgery by someone else, and now he is back for revision surgery with quite a bit of breast growth.  I see quite a bit of such regrowth.  Surgery does not stop breast growth.  Breasts will continue to grow.  That is why stabilizing the problem first can be so critical.  If someone gains weight, remaining fat cells will put on that weight and form breasts.  Getting the weight under control may be the solution for some.

To let others better understand your concerns post Standard After Gynecomastia Pictures as well as before surgery photos.  These views are designed to demonstrate residual dynamic issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
To let others better understand your concerns, post Standard After Gynecomastia Pictures as well as Before surgery photos.

Dude...  As Doc B suggested, post some Before & After pics... it would be helpful to others in diagnosing your next course of action...  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
If there is an underlying problem causing the gynecomastia or weight is an issue, addressing the underlying problem first is typically best. I just saw another patient who had continued breast growth and recurrence. I had recommended addressing the problem first, he went and had surgery by someone else, and now he is back for revision surgery with quite a bit of breast growth.  I see quite a bit of such regrowth.  Surgery does not stop breast growth.  Breasts will continue to grow.  That is why stabilizing the problem first can be so critical.  If someone gains weight, remaining fat cells will put on that weight and form breasts.  Getting the weight under control may be the solution for some.

On average doc, how many post-op patients (to your knowledge) experience 'regrowth'?  Let say on a scale of 1-10...

This is very odd, I was always under the impression that 'regrowth' is very rare...

It is extremely rare for gyne to return (assuming you aren't taking anabolic steroids and that your homonal situation is stable).

GB...

Offline jimmy1234

• Posting Member
i am going in for my 2nd revision at the end of the month. i don't think people or doctors for that matter understand how seriously this affects us. I went for lipo about 2 and a half years ago, then had ny first revison six months later and now my third. This time i am going to make it perfectly clear what i want of the surgery. Remember you are the only one that matters. you and your happiness and mysuggestion is to do what you have to do to accomplish that.

Offline dogandduck1

Cheers for the posts, I'll try and get some pictures up soon enough. I don't have any pre-surgery pictures but surely that's not too important as how it looks now counts.

DrBermant

i am going in for my 2nd revision at the end of the month. i don't think people or doctors for that matter understand how seriously this affects us. I went for lipo about 2 and a half years ago, then had ny first revison six months later and now my third. This time i am going to make it perfectly clear what i want of the surgery. Remember you are the only one that matters. you and your happiness and mysuggestion is to do what you have to do to accomplish that.

That is one of the reasons I posted this video Emotion of Living with Gynecomastia.  That patient was very eloquent in describing these issues and many parents and other patients have told me listening helped them better understand the stresses and issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline gyneuser

If you're not happy go back for a second surgery.  I had my first operation on dec26 2008, just got my second operation today less than 12months later.  I had what I would consider an extreme case and I knew it would most likely take more than one operation.  I used the same doctor, he charged me less than half of what he initially charged and so far so good.  Hopefully I don't need thirds but if it's bugging you then get it taken care of.

I turned 20 years old in June and have always felt robbed of a traditional life as a teenager due to gyne.  Get your chest figured out while you're young, I am and hopefully by the time I turn 21 (7months) i'll be completely healed, and ready to stop obsessing over my chest.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024