Author Topic: a bit chubby/overweight before surgery???!!  (Read 2872 times)

Offline bloodygyno

• Posting Member
I am a little bit overweight, most fat is on my chest and on my stomach. reason being i have been very busy at work and stressed and unable to get to the gym. I need to get surgery asap as I have a break from work, possible date 4th july.

question is, if im a bit above the weight i am happy with and expect to be, as i hope to lose fat after surgery by doing more cardio, will this make it harder to get surgery results which i am happy with?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Surgery for gyne can be done at virtually any weight.  That being said, it is best if you are at your lowest and most stable weight.  You will be healthier!

Therein lies the conundrum:  many guys are too embarrassed to go to the gym because of their gyne -- and therefore have difficulty losing weight.  And yet they should lose weight in order to get the best results.  Answer?  Wear a snug compression garment to provide a better shape while you work out at the gym.

The alternative is to have surgery at your usual weight -- but you must understand that the surgery has to be tailored to your physical status at the time of surgery.  Thus, surgery can reduce the size of your gyne but must still leave some tissue in order for your chest to be consistent with the surrounding areas of your body. If too much tissue (fat and gland) is removed at this time, then you will undoubtedly be left with a crater deformity. Once surgery is done and you are contoured, you can then return to the gym and hopefully lose weight with diet and exercise.  And when you do so, your gyne will usually continue to improve as well and it will remain consistent with the surrounding areas of your body.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:20:13 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gynoforlife

• Posting Member
 >:In my opinion I would not listen to Dr. Jacobs advice.
Here are the reasons why:

1.  Glandular tissue is "problem tissue" and in no circumstance should it be left behind to try and "match" your current weight status.  The first surgery will cost you about $8,000 and if and when you lose the additional weight the surgery in say 5 years plus inflation will cost you about $15,000.  Costing you a total amount of $23,000 all for some tissue to be cut out of your chest!  COME ON!  Give me a break already!

2.  This is another money making scheme that costs the patient through the nose and provides crappy results.

3.  Just take a look at all the new threads in this section of the website that are started by people on a weekly basis that magically develop puffy nips two to three weeks after surgery, with hopes that wearing the compression vest longer will make it go away when in reality they are just fooling themselves. 

BOTTOM LINE
You better do your homework or your gynecomastia problem will break your bank.  Its better to have saved your money than to get a "slight reduction" like Dr. Jacobs if offering.  The more you do your research you will realize there are thousand of patients out there including myself that forked over thousands of dollars for a "slight reduction" when we were under the pretense that the problem would be a 100% fix or at least significantly better that a "slight reduction".

Offline hm4295

• Posting Member
>:In my opinion I would not listen to Dr. Jacobs advice.
Here are the reasons why:

1.  Glandular tissue is "problem tissue" and in no circumstance should it be left behind to try and "match" your current weight status.  The first surgery will cost you about $8,000 and if and when you lose the additional weight the surgery in say 5 years plus inflation will cost you about $15,000.  Costing you a total amount of $23,000 all for some tissue to be cut out of your chest!  COME ON!  Give me a break already!

2.  This is another money making scheme that costs the patient through the nose and provides crappy results.

3.  Just take a look at all the new threads in this section of the website that are started by people on a weekly basis that magically develop puffy nips two to three weeks after surgery, with hopes that wearing the compression vest longer will make it go away when in reality they are just fooling themselves. 

BOTTOM LINE
You better do your homework or your gynecomastia problem will break your bank.  Its better to have saved your money than to get a "slight reduction" like Dr. Jacobs if offering.  The more you do your research you will realize there are thousand of patients out there including myself that forked over thousands of dollars for a "slight reduction" when we were under the pretense that the problem would be a 100% fix or at least significantly better that a "slight reduction".

Yeah why listen to a doctor who is an expert in gynecomastia? Give me a break

Don't listen to any random people on the internet, myself included. Listen to the doctors who specialize in this and do what you're comfortable with.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Re gynoforlife

I will not dignify his post with a response.  It is egregiously wrong, outlandish and utterly misleading.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024