Author Topic: Swelling On My Mind  (Read 11192 times)

Offline hitman200x

• Posting Member
Hey everyone. I'm going to be 1 month post-op on October 13, and I'm just reaching out to get, I guess, some reassurance of sorts. I KNOW that one month is way too early to judge results, and that swelling will last for like 3 months or so, but even with that knowledge, it's so hard to look at myself with the swelling, which makes the nipples look like nothing was done at all, still poking out of shirts. I know that all of the tissue underneath is removed, as I don't feel the moveable lump when I push down, but it just feels like no progress/improvement has been made in the reduction of swelling.

I'm not looking for science here, or links to pictures/studies on this site, and I understand this stuff takes time, but has anyone else experienced this? If so, at what point did you start to actually notice your swelling decrease.

DrBermant

Hey everyone. I'm going to be 1 month post-op on October 13, and I'm just reaching out to get, I guess, some reassurance of sorts. I KNOW that one month is way too early to judge results, and that swelling will last for like 3 months or so, but even with that knowledge, it's so hard to look at myself with the swelling, which makes the nipples look like nothing was done at all, still poking out of shirts. I know that all of the tissue underneath is removed, as I don't feel the moveable lump when I push down, but it just feels like no progress/improvement has been made in the reduction of swelling.

I'm not looking for science here, or links to pictures/studies on this site, and I understand this stuff takes time, but has anyone else experienced this? If so, at what point did you start to actually notice your swelling decrease.

How much Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated, techniques used, skill of the surgeon, how much tissue damage occurred, after surgery compression, after surgery care, and many other factors. I prefer techniques that start out with minimal swelling. Then my after care is designed such that this swelling is maximum in the operating room and decreases each subsequent day. You can see many such examples for different types of problems on my website.

Tissues do evolve after surgery. Failure to use compression, pushing injured tissues too far too soon, starting out with too much tissue damage are all issues that can prolong swelling. There are many other causes of Puffy Nipple Complication After Gynecomastia Surgery. The most common one is the gland was left behind. The next is that the tissue was just too damaged by that surgeon and the residual scar continues to deform the chest.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Darth Menace

• Bronze Member
Hey Hitman200x-how do things look now?  I am happy in a sense to see these "swelling" threads, and to know it's not just me.  I will be one month on November 13.  I liked what I saw when I was still wearing the compression vest, but shortly after I took it off, swelling in my nipples has come and worries me too.  From what I read this is a common occurrence in alot of people.  My pecks are damn near perfect, but my nipples seem to have fluid buildup (not near as puffy as they were post-op by the way)

What worries me though is the extent it will take for mine to go away.  I don't know what average time for a person is for the swelling to go away, but then add being kicked in the chest a few times by my kids (we all know the way kids thrash and kick when you pick them up), also my work clothing adds extra weight on my chest, etc and it is uncomfortable wearing my work clothes (it's getting better).  I am thinking the wollops in the chest by my kids and the uncomfortable work clothes may have made it that it will take even longer for the swelling to leave.

My concern is I read about hematoma.  How do I know the difference of hematoma vs just swelling caused by the healing process?

Offline hitman200x

• Posting Member
Darth,

Unfortunately, it has now been almost exactly 2 months post-surgery (will be on Nov 13, ironically, the same day as your 1-month), and I see no signs of the swelling going down. My doctor said it takes at least 3 months, and I believe him, but I guess what disappoints me is that I feel that they look the exact same as they did the day before my surgery. Now my pecs are much better, there is no "lump" of tissue underneath like there was, but my nipples poke out of shirts as much as before if I don't wear under armor to suppress them. What would help me is if I saw some improvement to hold me over. If I saw they were getting smaller, even if still puffy, I would be encouraged. I haven't had that satisfaction yet. I hope on December 13 I can write back here that everything is great, but it just FEELS like they will be puffy. And I know people will say to keep waiitng, and I will, but at what point do you go back to the doctor to ask if everything was done right?

Offline kwl04

• Posting Member
I'm in the same boat as you both. I agree it's kind of discouraging, but we have to remain patient.  I'm on Propecia and although I doubt that's making them puffy again.....it sure messes with your mind. Is it swelling or a side effect?  Gyne is not just a physical thing.....it's very psychological and that is apparent by our worries even after surgery. 

Offline Darth Menace

• Bronze Member
Darth,

Unfortunately, it has now been almost exactly 2 months post-surgery (will be on Nov 13, ironically, the same day as your 1-month), and I see no signs of the swelling going down. My doctor said it takes at least 3 months, and I believe him, but I guess what disappoints me is that I feel that they look the exact same as they did the day before my surgery. Now my pecs are much better, there is no "lump" of tissue underneath like there was, but my nipples poke out of shirts as much as before if I don't wear under armor to suppress them. What would help me is if I saw some improvement to hold me over. If I saw they were getting smaller, even if still puffy, I would be encouraged. I haven't had that satisfaction yet. I hope on December 13 I can write back here that everything is great, but it just FEELS like they will be puffy. And I know people will say to keep waiitng, and I will, but at what point do you go back to the doctor to ask if everything was done right?

Ya, I am in the same boat.  We shouldn't be concerned, but we are.  I don't blame us, but if you look around this site and see what people are saying post-op is that this has happened to them as well.  Doctors are saying time will heal it, but it appears as though a tonne of people are having the same swelling problem and it goes away in time.  My nipples were burning today and what I did felt great.  I put some ice on the pec/nipple (obviously in an ice pack and not directly on the skin) but it took the burning sensation way down and apparently it's great to take down swelling too.

Hopefully someone else post-op or even a dr here could chime in and give other advice on fighting swelling

Offline TheOregonKid

• Posting Member
I had my surgery on October 28th so I'm almost a month out.  I'm having the same problem, plus lumps of hard tissue in my right side (which still appears much larger).  I feel devastated because I spent $5200 and am worried about the hard scar tissue that some people say never goes away.  It still looks pointy through a shirt...just as bad as before on the right side.  I almost feel like it looked better a couple of weeks ago.......so discouraging.
“Whoever despises himself still esteems the despiser within himself” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Darth Menace

• Bronze Member
I did mine october 13, and I can tell you that I have been healing nicely.  Sure there was alot of swelling when the vest first came off.  Healing doesnt happen overnight.  I make sure to ice daily (take down swelling), rub in Vitamin E cream, and heat pad (breaks up scar tissue)  I notice swelling is up more if i skip these steps a few days.  I am going to keep it up as it does help.  I am not even at two months and I am considerably happier then when the vest first came off.  Remember minimum 3 months for healing...that's bare minimum, and up to a year so things will change

Offline dannyboy740

• Posting Member
hey guys, I'm just 9 days post op. I'm looking at the best options, remedies,etc. I have swelling on both sides, thoiugh most pronounced on my right side (dominant side)
I see Darth Menace recommends Vit E cream and heat/ice. Anyone tried Arnica,  Bromelain and pineapple too...I know theses are popular with UK patients.
I've been using 200c Arnica pills and am waiting on some arnica cream. Am debating getting some Bromelain tablets and will prob grab some pineapple juice when out shopping later today.
And how are you guys finding massage?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The best treatment for swelling is a really snug compression garment and limited activity.

Arnica and  bromelain may be helpful.  Bromelain is made from pineapple, so you can take one or the other.

Would definitely not massage at this time -- it could create more swelling rather than less.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Darth Menace

• Bronze Member
The best treatment for swelling is a really snug compression garment and limited activity.

Arnica and  bromelain may be helpful.  Bromelain is made from pineapple, so you can take one or the other.

Would definitely not massage at this time -- it could create more swelling rather than less.

Dr Jacobs

Hmmm, ok.  When I message it it feels as though the muscles are loosed and it feels great.  When post-op is a person to start messaging?

Does putting a heating pad and some "deep heat" also create more swelling?
Sucks I've been doing stuff that feels so good, but is bad for me (Isn't that the way it usually works)

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I generally do not recommend massage for several months after surgery -- other surgeons may differ.  Best to consult with your own surgeon.

As for heat after surgery, would not do so.

Dr Jacobs

Offline dannyboy740

• Posting Member
Darth Menace- How's the swelling now mate?
Same question for you Hitman!
And Dr is ice a good move for the swelling?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Ice is usually not recommended.  If you injure an extremity, then immediate ice will work -- but not in the long run.  Same for gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Darth Menace- How's the swelling now mate?
Same question for you Hitman!
And Dr is ice a good move for the swelling?

Ice on tissue with compromised blood supply can further restrict blood flow and possibly harming the survival chances of that tissue. Prevention of swelling is the better alternative. Beyond that, checking with your surgeon who is familiar with what was done is better. For my patients I specifically warn them do not use ice on your operated tissues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024