Author Topic: I'm getting gyne surgery covered by the Military  (Read 5749 times)

Offline nycookie

I've been browsing this forum for over 2 years and I believe it's finally time.

I talked to my military doctor, he confirmed that I had mild gyne,
I requested if surgery was possible, and he gave me a referral to see a general surgeon.
Now I'm just waiting on my consultation appointment 1.5 weeks from today to talk to my surgeon and hopefully all goes well.

I will be updating and posting pre & post op pics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:45:09 PM by nycookie »

Offline 805spec

• Posting Member
congrats on getting it covered and good luck with everything!

Offline Dpw

• Posting Member
I'm also getting tricare to cover me, my first consultation is on Aug 1st, your lucky you did have to go through months of test like me first

DeeDubStyle619

Is there any way you can request to see a plastic surgeon instead?

Offline nycookie

I'm also getting tricare to cover me, my first consultation is on Aug 1st, your lucky you did have to go through months of test like me first

If you don't mind me asking, what type of tests, lab/hormone level tests? 

Is there any way you can request to see a plastic surgeon instead?

I will e-mail my doctor and find out.

Offline Pooz

• Silver Member
I had my gyn surgery covered by the military. I had a PS do the surgery.

If it's a smaller base, it's likely you'll have a plastic surgeon do it instead of a general surgeon.

GL and keep us updated!

Offline Dpw

• Posting Member
3 blood test, endocrinologist. Mammograph, and follow up appts. I'm having a plastic surgeon do mine at Portsmouth naval hospital.

Offline Dpw

• Posting Member
Next week is my appt, can't wait go wear a small shirt, nycookie, do you think ill have a problem joining after surgery at meps? My wife is currently active, I'm just a spouse

Offline GQguy

• Posting Member
I'm actually going through the same process myself. I'm active duty, 29 years old and have had my gyn since I was 10 years old. I was approved for the surgery a few years ago but I had to go through some training and couldn't do it till now. The doc just gave me another series of test and now my estrogen level is high...like twice the normal amount for the average guy. Hopefully we can get this gyn out ASAP!

I am a little afraid having a general surgeon do the work instead of a plastic surgeon. Any experiences here with the general surgeon
?

Offline nycookie

I had my gyn surgery covered by the military. I had a PS do the surgery.
If it's a smaller base, it's likely you'll have a plastic surgeon do it instead of a general surgeon.
GL and keep us updated!

Congrats on your recent surgery, I'll be seeing my doc again in 2 days and I'll request for a plastic surgeon.
You have any idea if you can actually choose a plastic surgeon (who specializes in gynecomastia) and have Tricare still cover it?

Next week is my appt, can't wait go wear a small shirt, nycookie, do you think ill have a problem joining after surgery at meps? My wife is currently active, I'm just a spouse

I believe you can you get a waiver for it but there is going to be a lot of paperwork.

I'm actually going through the same process myself. I'm active duty, 29 years old and have had my gyn since I was 10 years old. I was approved for the surgery a few years ago but I had to go through some training and couldn't do it till now. The doc just gave me another series of test and now my estrogen level is high...like twice the normal amount for the average guy. Hopefully we can get this gyn out ASAP!
I am a little afraid having a general surgeon do the work instead of a plastic surgeon. Any experiences here with the general surgeon?

Good luck brah, I got blood tests for hormone levels done last week and I'm suppose to receive the results in 2 days, hopefully all is normal and it won't delay my surgery.

Offline nycookie

Haven't updated in a while, but I was able to get sent to a Plastic Surgeon back in my hometown (NYC) to be evaluated.
I scheduled my appointment next month when I take leave. Hope all goes well.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Congrats on having your surgery covered. Being part of the military, you deserve it.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024