Author Topic: Surgery with karidis done. New technique. With photos. Feb 2018  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Res

• Posting Member
Hi all
Yes I have the dreaded man boobs(gynecomastia). Have suffered with this since I was 17, now 24. And figured enough was enough, can't put up with this much longer. So after going to the doctors several times about this and getting completely rejected I figured surgery was the only option. I have just been putting it off for the past few years for no reason really I guess. It was only these forums and other people's stories that gave me the push I needed to get it done. So I firguered it's only fair to share my experience and hopefully push others to get it done. Had my consultation on the 15th Jan with kardis. It went as good as I could have hoped for, so when I arrived home I paid the deposit straight away and confirmed a date. 22nd of Feb is the big day. I cannot wait to have it over and done with and hopefully have the results I want. Fingers crossed and I'll post again on the day
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:31:50 AM by Res »

Offline 30psi

• Posting Member
Awesome news mate how does it feel? I know I've been dreaming of getting my chest sorted out for many years now. I'm also 24. 

Let me know how it goes man. Regards 

Offline Res

• Posting Member
It feels amazing mate, knowing it may finally be sorted. Just want to be out the other end. Can't wait to hopefully take my top off and be happy! Just praying I picked the right man for the job

Offline 30psi

• Posting Member
I'm in the process of getting fit for the operation. Was the procedure in through the armpits or under your nipple?

Let me know how recovery goes mate and best of luck!

Offline Res

• Posting Member
Good luck in your preparation, hope you get under way soon.
In my consultation he told me he makes an incision both at the bottom of the nipple(3-4mm) and at the arm pit. Also he shown me some photos of previous patients at 6 weeks post op and you really had to focus and zoom in to see any scar. And even that barely noticeable. Just hope mine heals as quick

Offline 30psi

• Posting Member
All the best mate. 6 weeks is mental for recovery, I expect it'll be longer. Guess you're just taking everything easy now?

Offline Res

• Posting Member
Yes I thought the same. I have a very physical job and he assured me I would be fine to return to work within 2-3 weeks. I was shocked, thinking around a month myself. Just banging the hours in now and getting things ready.  I'm allowing myself a month off. Dreading how bored I'll be.

Offline Res

• Posting Member
UPDATE.
Finally the day has come, currently it's 8:50am. I have arrived at the hospital, filled out and forms, had my bp taken and now sat waiting in my horrendous hospital gown haha. Mr kardis came round about half an hour ago and drew me up and expalained the procedure. Just want to be out the other end now

Offline Neergs

• Posting Member
Hi Res,

I had my surgery with Karidis 2 days ago now. If you go on the international UK forum I have posted how it all went if you're waiting around pre-op!
Best of luck mate, you'll be fine. 

Offline Res

• Posting Member
Hi neergs
I've read through your post, and my day seemed to go exactly the same as yours even down to the timings. I'll write an in depth description of how my day went later on. Just about to leave to go back and have my stitches out. How's your pain feeling today?

Offline Neergs

• Posting Member
Well done mate, how are you feeling?
Pain is fine today mate, barely feels like I've had anything done. I took the pain killers for the first two days, only one tablet at a time, but I think I could have coped without. Juat seen that you're about to get stitches out, its no bother at all mate. Like I said in my post you might want to ask for a couple of bandages to put under your armpits, stops the vest digging in!

Offline Res

• Posting Member
So here I am 2 days post op. Feeling a lot better than I thought I would. Here's how it went.
Arrived at the hospital at around 7:15 am, was taken into the admission room where I had to sign some paperwork. I was then collected by a member of staff who took me up to my room for the day. The room was very pleasant, it had a private bathroom and a flat screen tv on the wall. There was also space for two guests which was good as my girlfriend insisted to come along.
A nurse then came to my room asked me questions about allergies, blood pressure ect. The anesthetic guy then came in and just asked me the same questions. About 10 mins later around 8:30am dr kardis came in and went through what was going to happen during the day, took a few photos of my horrendous chest and drew me up. ((IMPORTANT....This was when he told me about his new procedure, which involves stitching the skin around the chest area to the existing muscle/fat, to almost tie them together. This is not so much a new procedure but an added new method, it's only there to prevent hematoma, as there's then no room for blood to build up. He explained that this happened in 7% of patients and as he operates on so many a year he would like to get this down to 0. I was told I was around the 15th patient this has been carried out on and so far is 100% successful)).
Anyway kardis then told me I was expected to be picked up for surgery around 9:15 - 9:30. I remember being led on the bed about to be put to sleep and looking at the clock in the room and it was 9:15. Next thing I know it's about 11:20 and I'm waking up. Feeling a little dry mouthed and almost light headed. I was also very cold , like shivering,  but they put the heated blanket type thing on me. I was taken back up to room after around 10mins off being awake.
The nurse basically just told me to chill now for the next four hours and that I'd have to wear the cool pack to reduce swelling for the next 4 hours. After an hour or so of being back in my room I opted to have my lunch (which was delicious) as the nurse said the sooner you eat the sooner she could remove my cannula, which at this time was actually more painful than my chest.
Before I knew it, it was 3:40pm and I was ready to go. One of the kardis nurses came in, gave me my compression vests, some strong pain killers and some laxatives. She said enjoy your evening and we'll see you at 11:30 in the morning to remove your stitches. The day literally couldn't of gone better. Although I do admit the pain got a lot worse once the cool pack had been removed, trying to sleep wasn't the best. Found myself waking up roughly every 2hours for a drink and wanting to move.
The following morning after surgery I went back to the kardis clinic to have my stitches removed, I was booked in for 11:30 but arrived early at just gone 10. Thankfully the nurse seen me straight away. Removing the stitches was a somewhat weird feeling, as you chest is numb and tender it just feels more weird that painful. As soon as they had been removed I felt a lot less pain and more free, like I could move around more. I had the chance to have a good look at my chest. And I know it's still very early days, but I couldn't even explain how happy I was. I did take a couple of photos which I'll post soon. Just hope everything goes smooth from here on out.

And that's basically me. I'm sat at home watching the six nations, in not much pain at all. Just restricted as to how much I can stretch/move my arms. Only taken pain killers up until the stitches were removed.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, I'm happy to answer. I wouldn't be sat here today 2 days post op without this forum.

Offline Res

• Posting Member

Offline Res

• Posting Member
1 day post op. Stitches removed.

Offline Neergs

• Posting Member
Brilliant res well done mate, looks similar to how mine did after, and looks like your nipples have shrunk a bit aswell! I've been out shopping first time today, the vest keeps riding up so I have to keep adjusing the position. I had my first shower two days ago and changed the bandages across the nipples and armpit incisions. Do we take them off after a week and leave them off? I can't remember what they said now. I'm not looking forward to the scar tissue either, hoping its not too bad and it will massage out well! But it is what it is now, just got to enjoy the ride i guess.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024